Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cegusman, May 12, 2003.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I am getting 4.88 gears installed this thursday in my 14b ff, dana 44. Is there any torque specs, of any other specs "bearing preload, backlash...." that I would need to give the mechanic?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you have to give specs to the mechanic so he can set your gears, you need to find another mechanic, IMHO. </font>

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

EXACTLY, if he doesnt know how to set up gears, he shouldnt be doing it.

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Never had it done before, just wondering. This will be the first time someone other than me will be wrenching on it, it is not a cool feeling /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you consider yourself mechanically inclined, I would highly recommend doing the gear install yourself. It's really not that dificult, there are lots of instructions out there and finding out if you did it correctly is as easy as being able to read the pattern in the gear marking compound. The 14 bolt is epecially easy to do. </font>

6. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I just installed 4:88 gears in my 14bff and Dana 60. The 14 bolt is simple to do. The only pain in the ass part was getting the carrier out of the dana 60. If you have the mechanical abillity and the right tools I would say do it your self.