Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Installation in a '93 Chevrolet Z71?!?!

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by OffRoader93, Mar 29, 2005.

1. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

Nov 30, 2002
    My sister's boyfriend wants to put lower gears in his 93 Chevy Z71. I was wondering the difficulty of putting these gears in. Not worried about the rear axle, I have done straight axles before. I am worried about the front IFS. How hard would this install be? This is a 1/2 ton truck. What size is the front ring gear, a 9.2" or a 8.2"? Also is the rear a 8.5"? Any comments or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Jan 27, 2003
    There a PITA. Sometimes the stub shafts dont come out. You split the cases. To get the carrier bearings out its easiest to get the races out by putting the case halfs in a parts washer and it will expand and then beat them on the ground to get them out, or run a bead inside the race and flip it over and beat it out that way. Knock the pinion races out, new races in. pinion in and set the carrier in and bolt the halfs together, take out the vent plug, check backlash and pattern and adjust from there. NOt hard, just a pain.