Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear installation, is it really rocket science?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

hey I am going from 3.08's to 4.10's in my 10 bolt and 12 bolt. I am buying a set of R&P's a front carrier and an Eaton posi unit for the rear from another member. I am trying to decide if I am going to install these myself or have them done. I am pretty damn mechanical and not itimidated by them. I just need to now if an average Joe can do these or if I am just going to end up burning up a new set of gears. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Any thing special I need or should look for?

Thanks for the advice, this is still the best damn GM site on the web /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Krennen

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Setting gears is not rocket science, the main thing that it requires is lots of patience. There is not such thing as "close enough" when it comes to gears, it's either right or it's not. You have to be willing to go through pulling everything and redoing it 3, 4 or 10 times until it's right. In my experience you'll go through 5-6 setups on the pinion until it's right, then a few times on the carrier to get the backlash right.

If you have the correct tools for the job and the patience to do it right then there is no reason that you can't do it yourself. GM corporate axles are easier than some because the shims go outboard of the bearings, but you still have to deal with crush sleeves. Crush sleeves can be a pain but they aren't really that difficult other than the fact that they require a massive amount of torque to get crushed correctly.

With a resource like CK5 there is no excuse for setting the gears wrong. If you can verify that the torque specs are correct and you post the final patterns here to get the CK5 seal of approval then you'll be golden. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As for burning them up, there's not alot of excuse for that too. On the first drive pull over after a couple miles, if the diff is really hot then something might not be right. It's normal for new gears to run hot during break in, but if you cant hold your hand agains the diff then there is a problem.</font>

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Any one know where I can find a complete write up on setting ring and pinions?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, here are the different instructions that I used when I did my gears. They vary slightly, I found the Yukon ones to be the best but there is good info in all of them. I recommend reading them, then reading them again, then reading them again. Repeat that a couple of times. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif You really want to have a good feel for what you need to do when you start in on it.

http://www.drivetrain.com/ringpinioninstal.html
    http://www.drivetraindirect.com/html2/dtdframehome3.html
    http://www.differentials.com/producti.html
    http://www.ring-pinion.com/yukon-instructions.pdf

I'm going to throw some keywords in this post so it comes up when people search, it seems like more people have been asking for instructions lately.

Ring pinion gear setup installation instructions online guide diff differential R&amp;P ring and pinion </font>

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

UHHHHmmmmmm....... [ QUOTE ]
    I'm going to throw some keywords in this post so it comes up when people search

[/ QUOTE ] Wicked good idea!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm going to throw some keywords in this post so it comes up when people search,

[/ QUOTE ]
    Now if we could just get people to actually USE the search function.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

To clear the air, some of us try searching, but return so many posts that you can sift through all of them to find what you need. I myself try searching when possible, but I have a really slow connection and searching takes too long to find just tidbits of info here and there verses just making a new post and getting it straight from the horses mouth.