Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear installation kit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Jun 20, 2006.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I need to order a ring and pinion for my Dana 60 swap and I just wanted to know if I should order the installation kit or not. Im changing the carrier and gears and putting in a lock rite. What all is included in the installation kit? Am I gonna have to have it or is it just a good idea to get it. Also, where is the best place to buy it and the new gears from?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Yes you will need the master install kit.

When you remove you current carrier pull the bearings carefully and ream out the ID with a dremel so you can use them as set-up bearings.

Randy's ring and Pinion
    PORC

Lastly, are you sure you can do it? If you go ahead with it I suggest lolts of research and reading on the subject before you start.

3. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

That's some great advice,I had a friend do mine for beer.He had the carrier out 4 times re-shimming the darn thing,before he was happy.There is no way I could have done it....right.:doah:

4. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I havent changed a ring and pinion yet but my dad has and we're both mechanics so I would hope that we can get it done lol. Any other tips or suggestions? And about how much should it cost for the gears and install kit?

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have lots of tips and suggestions but usually can't think of them until I am asked a specific question. I have too many thoughs going on in my head at one time.
    I have set up many gear sets so ask away. especially when you run into an issue during the install

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm sorry I'm not quite understanding why you would need a "setup" set of bearings... or how that would really be helpful. I've never personally done a differential but seen them done many times and know how it is intended to be done and don't see how it helps. If anything I'd rather have the new bearings just in case there was differences that could affect my measurements. Any play in the carrier would cause innacurate readings. Sorry just totally confused by that suggestion.

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Set up bearings can be installed and removed by hand.
    New bearings would have to be removed with a press which can and almost always does damage them.

I use the set up bearings for the numerous shim changes, then install the new bearings and double check the pattern.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

but why would you need to remove the bearings after installing them?

9. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

To adjust the shim packs

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

.... something I'm missing here I guess. Seen plenty of people just install shim packs... pull the carrier out, change the shims pack, reinstall. I don't see where you need to remove the bearings.

11. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

On dana axles the shims are between the bearing and the carrier. Corporate axles ex. 10B uses the shims outside the bearings. The dana's are a PITA to keep pressing bearings to change shim thickness.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

strange I was COMPLETELY unaware of that. Makes totaly sense now, thanks.

13. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Oops.....I guess I forgot to mention that one detail. On the 10B you only need the setup bearings for the pinion.

14. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Lol crap I didnt know that little fact either, ive never seen a dana axle re geared before, I guess it would make a lot of sense to use set up bearings on one. So I should just grind out the bearings some so they fit easily on the carrier to set up the shims? Then when its right, I can press the new ones on? Ive seen it done but dont really know myself, when do I know that the shims are set up right? Whats the best way to tell? Isnt there a tool that helps with this? Ive seen it done without the tool but Ifigure it makes the job easier?

15. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

you can use your old bearings but if there is any variation between the old ones and new ones theres a good chance your going to have to reshim again because the pattern may change with the new bearings. Setup bearing are going to have tolerences more like new bearings thats why many people use them instead of old bearings. I wouldnt use old ones just because the headache it could cause.

16. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I would suggest getting new bearings for the setup bearings. The old ones arent gonna be of much use after you take them off. You can pick them up at any parts store (usually listed as "differential bearings"). I think I still have my setup bearings.

Yes, Dana axles are a bit of a pain.

I went though this whole SNAFU with my axles, as ReadyMix can testify.I did mine when the axle was out of the truck, and that was hard enough. After you get the hang of it, its not that bad. A few days ago, I set my friends 9" on his Br*nco in about half an hour.

I used a digital micrometer to measure the shims, magnetic dial gauge to measure backlash, and gear marking compound for the pattern.

Where are you in WV? If Im not busy, I might be able to swing on by and offer a hand...

17. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

On carriers with inboard shims, keep track of which side your "set-up brg" belongs to. After all the set-up, measure the set-up brg and the new, and add or subtract shim for any difference. Does that make sense? I don't have to be sure because I'm regearing Corp. 10bs.
    Well, same goes for the pinion big end. Make all the R&P engagement settings with the set-up brg., measure the set-up and the new and compensate with the shim pack.(?)

18. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Yes, that is true and it will get you close, but keep in mind he is chaning the carrier too. You cant assume they are exactly the same.

19. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Right, I was just refering to the brgs. Yea, the new carrier will require many trial & error for us without factory gauges, but for the final swap from set-up brgs to the new ones, it should be as simple as measurement check and compensate, if needed. The final mounting of the carrier with the deadblow mallet, will have the same feel to confirm the carrier brg. preload with the "new" brgs, yes/no?:D

20. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Should, unless you screwed up the carrier bearings when removeing them from the original.