Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gear/locker installation... b4 axle swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Apr 18, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, its a noob question... but I was wondering if there was any reason why I couldn't have my new front D60 regeared and have the detroit installed before I actually swap the axle into my rig. It'd be most convenient for me to take the axle to a shop, have them do that poop, and then install the whole thing myself... any reason why this might cause probs? No idea why it might... but then I'm not a axle guru either. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

J

2. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Its usually cheaper if you bring the axle into the shop. Makes it easier on them. I've been calling around for prices on gear swaps and half the shops ask if the axle is on the truck. Takes a chunk outta the labor charge.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, thats what I was thinking... cool deal. Is there any way I could cut down on labor time any more? I dunno, maybe by removing the carrier/gears that are in there now? Anything that would trim down on time would prolly help... Moab is coming, and I need all the $$$$ I can for gas and parts. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

J