Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear manufacturers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Nov 19, 2006.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Alrighty, since my 35s are fast wearing and the plans call for 38" hawgs, I think its time I waive bye bye to 4.10s and step to 4.88s.

Now, I had always heard that genuine gears were crap, and yukon were the best of the aftermarket. Well, just to verify that, today I was doin searching, and it seems that people on other boards have been having alot of problems with yukon lately, mostly since they seem to have transferred alot of their manufacturing to china/india.

Can someone recommend to me a good gear manufacturer, and a place to buy them? Also, I know I need thick gears for the 14ff since I have 4.10s now, is there such a thing as thick gears for the 10bolt, and if so, what is the carrier break on them?

Finally, I think I can install the 14ff gears well enough, if not, friend of a friend lives about 5 minutes from me who has done all this before. Question though, on the 10bolt, will I need a case spreader to get the gearset out? I havent messed with the 10bolt so I dont know about it.

Thanks guys.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I won't install Genuine for anyone. I have had them ask a few times before, but it is a headache that I am not going to get into for anyone.

I have had great luck with the Yukons with the exception of one time. The gearset in question was "like new" Meaning it was installed but not driven on. When I got it installed I could not get rid of a wandering BL. I thought at first it was the carrier but it was not a repeating pattern......turned out to be the ring.
    That said I would reccomend Yukon anyday.

The Superiors I have only set up one set in a Ford 9". It was pretty easy, not enough first hand experience to judge though.

Where to buy:
    You could call RR&P.
    + You will get the parts the fastest this way. Great tech support (phone)
    - You will pay more than if you looked around a little.

PORC
    + Almost always the cheapest from what I have found. Yukons would be dropped shipped from RR&P for cheaper than just buying from RR&P.
    - I have had a huge PITA of a time getting the correct parts form them lately. While not entirely their fault, it could have been dealt with faster. They always make good on it though, in the end.

There are many other places that I have dealt with for gearsets, but those are the two I have used most frequently.

3. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

PORC, is that performance offroad center?

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Sure is.

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

thank ya thank ya, now I just need to go water that money tree. Needs to bloom out for some new Hawgs and 4.88's, this is gonna be fuuuuunnnnn ;)

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Superior gears are supposed to be pretty good gears. I personally have Motive gears in my front 10 bolt w/no problems & Genuines in my 14bff. Genuines are supposed to be junk but the 14bff is so damn big I doubt I will ever break them, and if I do they are warrantied.

Harley

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've used Yukon gears and when i opened the box they were actually Genuine GM gears. :dunno:

The 10 bolt axle has no carrier break, all gears fit the same carrier.

9. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I've run Precision Gear R/P's in all my rigs .In my opinion they're the top of the line. Reider racing has what you need.:D

10. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

I'll vote for Superiors. Unlike Yukon, who repackages other people's stuff, Superior actually manufactures the stuff. Not to mention they manufacture it here in the US. Besides, Superior R&P's from Tellico are cheaper than Yukons from PORC :deal: BTW, Tellico doesn't list 4.88's for the 14bff on their web site, but according to Superiors catalog it is available in a "thick" version for the 4.10 down carrier. If you call or email Tellico they can get the 4.88's for the 14bff.

11. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i got a set of motive gear 4.88's from summit and no complaints here

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

x2 for Precision gears and Reider Racing. Excellent customer service!

And no, you shouldn't need a case spreader for the 10-bolt. Just do the old "wrench on a ring bolt and rotate" trick and it should pop right out (leave the bearing caps on loosely or you'll be chasing your carrier accross the floor).