Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear oil coming out! Any ideas?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DPI, Aug 8, 2001.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I have a 14 bolt rear axle currently runnging a 6 degree shim and the ord shackle flip. I have 9" of a total of suspension lift and running a rear cv driveshaft.
    The problem I am having is the gear oil is coming out of the vent tube that exits over the gas tank. I keep the fluid level a little higher than normal due to the angle the pinion is sitting at. I checked the fluid temp after running for a while and it was at 150 degrees, which I think is acceptable.
    Any ideas on this? Oh, I am running the fully synthetic gear oil and have a mag-hytec aluminum cover.

4.56 Geared, Power Locked, Dana 60
    4.56 Geared, TSM Disc Braked, Detroit Locked, Corporate 14

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

How much is coming out? Steady flow or a light spray around the vent? After driving 1 mile or several? How overfilled?

I don't know a whole lot about 14 bolts, but I'd think a light spray is ok, just a result of overfilling. If it's more than that, I'd find it pretty odd, especially if the temp is normal (and I have no idea if that is normal for a 14). Sorry if that's no help!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **I need a house. Friggin realtor went and sold mine.**

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't think it's a problem if you are driving hard and/or fast. Fluid thins out as it heats, and since you are A.) running a little more fluid to compensate for angle B.) the breather is at different clock position than stock because the axle is rotated C.) your running low gears (high numerically).
    I've been told that the under use the fluid thins out, the ring gear causes alot of splash and wind especially from lower gears and can push fluid up the vent hose (even longer than stock). If it gets overly excessive, I would have it checked, but if not I would not worry about it. Also if you can extend your breather higher if at all possible. Some guys will even run them to the front of the rig along the frame and pop them up by the cowl, firewall, or fender.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input! It is a minimal amount coming out. But my inlaws hate oil on their driveway when we visit. So I thought I would try to fix it.
    I think I will run the vent tube to the front, that is a good idea! That will solve the leaking problem and help with deep water passes.
    Thanks again!

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Another simple option is to coil a long segment of vent tube and just hang it from the top. (Think about the old horns.. one long tube.. and the new Horns used today, a big coil. The coil will give you the same amount of expansion room as running it all the way to the front, but without the hassle of mounting (and possibly snagging it on something and ripping off and contaminating your fluid, not to mention leaking).

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

well you are at it add a small clear plastic fuel filter to the vent.
    Fram G3 or G2 depending on the line size
    cheap and clear
    i put them on all my vents including my fuel tank that way the water will at least be filtered when i submarine it

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's a pretty good idea! What direction should the filter flow go, though (lol)? From the tank/component or to it?

Ratch

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks, these are all good ideas!!!

9. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i put them so that the contaminants would be visible

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 77chev on 08/08/01 10:00 AM.</FONT></P>

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

77chev, are the filters you're talking about directional? I have a dozen clear Fram filters, but they all have directional flow arrows. I'm wondering if I should stick them on with the flow arrow pointing to the diff/tank or to the vent exit, since the diff "breathes" with temp changes.
    It would be really interesting to see what it catches after a while...

Ratch

11. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

they have an arrow on the side but nothing to stop flow from reversing.
    i got the idea from a race truck i saw in Kamloops BC

12. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Another option besides running it all the way to the front is to run it up along the fuel filler neck. Then I drilled a 1/2'' hole in the floorboard and brought the hose up into the rear cargo area. I used a rubber grommet to prevent chafing on the hose, and the stock GM one way valves to cap the hose off...I siliconed the hole and it works great, will never get any water or other outside contaminants in mine! It lays under the carpet next to my roll cage tube.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd just run the line really long and hook it up somewhere. That should take care of the problem.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

14. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Keith - Doesn't that stink?

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

15. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i love the smell of fresh hot gear oil, wife seems to hate it.

16. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Just one thing to add... if it is coming up out of the tube and up through the hose (and it is a decent length like stock) then I would guess your fluid is foaming. This is prone to happen when you overfill it. Try putting a couple cap fulls of ATF in there. This will help the foaming quite a bit.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>