Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gear oil? what's good to run?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MJB774X, Mar 7, 2003.

1. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

gear oil? what\'s good to run?

a buddy of mine turned me on to some 90w made from a company called LE (lubrication engineers)its like a red color, looks like thick atf, he says thats what they run in nascars, that's all he runs in his vehicals and his harleys and he swears by it, anyone heard of this stuff, and what do you guys run as far as weight in your 14bff? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: gear oil? what\'s good to run?

I run Redline Heavy Shockproof synthetic gear oil in my 14bff rear that I had built, and also my 10bolt front. It is very thick and is pink in color. I run it because the guy who built my axles uses it and swears by it. I can say that I like it and I would recommend it. Weight is 75W250.

It is very thick and sticks to everything. It won't press out from between gear teeth like some gear oils will, and it also takes some shock out of your driveline. I broke my gears in on normal gear oil, and then I put in the Redline at 500 miles. I can say that the Redline did help with some slack in the driveline. It also makes my front LockRite Locker very quiet, and they are known to be somewhat loud. It will take some slack out of you wallet though at $8-9 a quart, but I believe it is worth it. I had just spend $800-1000 on my rear axle to get new gears, bearings, races, etc. So the $30 I spent on gear oil is nothing I wouldn't want to spend to protect them.

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Sorry I can't say I've ever heard of that stuff. As to what I run.
    I have Amsoil for the gear oil and everything else for that matter.
    IMO you can't beat Amsoil for the protection you get from a Premium Synthetic Oil. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

As much as I like to run synthetic oils (ie: Amsoil), I can't justify running it in my off road toy. I drain and refill my front and rear ends every 6 months, sometimes more. The was I wheel, contamination is unavoidable. I also figure that if a FF14 can last 200,000 miles on the street using conventional 80w90, it will be fine for YEARS in my play truck. I think that the most important aspect is maintaining the proper amount of lube in the diff and draining it and adding fresh if it gets contaminated. That said, I run synthetic oil in the front and rear of my daily driver.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I run whatever is cheep by the gallon /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

With how often I change it anything else would be a waste.