Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GEAR OIL

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Oct 10, 2003.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I was wondering what kind of gear oil to put in my axle. I usually just throw some 80-90w in there, but wasnt sure about this one with a locker. What would yall recomend for a 14ff with a detroit to quiet that detroit down a little bit?? Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

i run 85w90. Was running 85w140 when I had a leaky diff so it wouldn't run out so fast, but that stuff is so THICK, there's no way I'd run it in the winter up here! I have a detroit and run 85w90. If you have a loud detroit, then maybe you should consider a set of aggressive mud tires to drown out that sound! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

85W140 is thin man. I am running 75W250 Redline in my diffs. That stuff is thick. I ran it all last winter in Colorado without problems. It is nice though because it sticks to everything. It leaves a nice coat of gear oil all over the inside of the diff including the gears and stuff above the fluid. It doesn't drip or run off for crap either. Its awesome stuff. This stuff works great to quite diffs too. I have a Lockright in the front axle and I have never had any pops, bangs, etc from it although I have only limited time offroad with it sofar.

Harley

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

75w250 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

So what happens once your ring shovels out a SLOT in your lube? How does it get lubed then? 75W250??? Sweet jesus! Whats that, like the consistency of peanut butter? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

-Dan

6. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

umm yea to me thats no longer gear oil. its more like bearing grease! I cant imagine it doing to great of a job.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I run 85-140 in my diffs with no absoultly no problems.
    It gets real cold here too. It quiets down my locker better and makes it run smoother than 90wt.
    90 wt is chicken soup.

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I think I will go with 85-140w. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
    -Harrison

9. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

I know you said "without a locker" but if you have a limited slip you definitely want to add the limited slip additive to the diff or that thing will wear out before you know it.

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I dont remember saying without a locker. It has a detroit.
    -Harrison

11. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

Oops. Sorry, misread it.

12. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

In the summer I usually run 110w145. In the wintertime I run the thinnest oil I can find which is usually 80w90.

I thought the first number always used to mean the viscosity and the second number used to mean equivalent protection to but I don't know anymore if that's true.

I've been trying to decide if I'm going to put something thick in the front end. I don't know which pops more, my LockRight or my transfer case chain slipping.

13. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I've actually done a little research and that 75-250 stuff seems to be the [darn].
    Check out the manufacterers page on the stuff here.

Go to the shockproof one, I believe thats what Harley is talking about...The stuff isn't actually the viscosity of 250, but read up and see what they mean.

I think I'll actually get around to replacing my gear oil today, hmm...

The only bad thing is the stuff is like $8 a quart IIRC.

14. Hossbaby50

I run the Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil. This stuff is awesome. It is definilty thick but it stays on metal surfaces long after you stop moving. So that way you never have a surface that doesn't have oil on it.

It will also not press out from between gear teeth and such when heavy load is applied, hense the shockproof. It is also reputed to drop diff temps by 75* or so.

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmm maybe ill give that a try /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif..i run 80-90w as well

16. Hossbaby50

You might contact Redline direct and ask them about which one would be right for your area (NY). I live in AZ and it helps it stay thinner, but it is still pretty thick. I did spend last winter in Colorado and had no problems with it that I am aware of. I changed my rear oil awhile back and everything looked great.

The oil was contaminated, but I think that wasn't the gear oils fault. I was driving around all winter without my vent tube conected so I think I got some water in there from driving around in 3 ft of snow during the blizzard there. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

They do make thinner varieties of the shockproof oils so you can go that route too. I run the heavy stuff because of the AZ factor, but I didn't and wouldn't have a problem with running the heavy in a cold winter again.

When you do your oil change make sure to get as much of the old oil out as possible and then (if its cold) make sure you rotate your axle while on jackstand so the oil has time to get to your wheel bearings while there is no load. Once you get oil out there you will always have oil out there. That is the no joke.

I have a specific funnel for my gear oil, and that funnel still has gear oil on it, and it hasn't pooled at the bottom. I swapped my gear oil in June. That should tell you how well it sticks.

Harley