Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gear problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chulisohombre, Jul 1, 2004.

1. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i have a jy 14 bolt axle.i think it was worked pretty hard and the gears are worn out.they make noise in between the coast and drive side of the gears when i let off the gas.backlash was set at .010 and i reset it at .006.the noise got quieter and i was wondering if i can close the gap a little more.the specs say that backlash is supposed to be between 6 and 10 thousanths.so i have it at the minimum now.if the gears are worn down a little i should be able to close the gap a little more.i need some opinions from some gear gurus.thanx for any and all help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. chulisohombre

ttt.anyone??

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

If there howling, most likely there bad. You should check the pattern. .010 for backlash isnt that much for a used gearset. Closing the backlash down probablly wouldnt help, you can do it, check the patternt, see what it looks like, but if the gearsets no good, then its probablly no good, which IMHO is hard to belive, I havent ever seen a 14b gearset go bad, unless I suppose it was set up incorrectly.

4. chulisohombre

the guy at the jy thought that the axle came out of a work truck from a concrete factory.so not much road time,but heavy roads.he said the trucks only had like 60000 miles on them,but the bodys rusted off.as far as the way the gears look and drive they are fine.only makes a grinding noise in between drive and coast.kinda like when you are going down a hill and start slowing down and give it a little more gas to keep the speed up.if that is a better analogy.i just need to know if it would hurt the gearset more if i closed the gap to say maybe 4 thousands?if it doesnt get too hot that way,should they be alright?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds like you've got a pinion bearing problem to me.

6. chulisohombre

pinion is tight as far as i can tell.no movement and has not damaged the seal from wobble.any more opinions on closing the gap smaller than what is recommended?

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

If the howling is coming from the gears, tightening them up isn't gonna help. You have to check the contact pattern. If it's worn in the proper contact area, the ONLY fix is new gears. anything else is only temp. If you tighten it up more, they are only going to wear out quicker and/or break. The .004 can easily become .000 when the axel heats up. and that will hurt!

8. chulisohombre

so i should probably keep it at 6 thjousandths and check the pattern?the wear pattern looks pretty good.it just kinda grinds when it goes between the coast and drive side of the gear.i just replaced the ujoints also.so i know they are good.also angle is good.so i guess ill just wait and see if it gets worse.and ill replace them.thanx for the replys.