Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Problems/Noise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, Jun 12, 2004.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, so I set my gears up in my 14 bolt about 1.5 years ago (December of 2002) and never had a problem with them. I rencent changed my fluid about a month ago and there were no problems. Starting about 3 weeks ago I started getting a slight whine above 50 mph and a really bad whine on deceleration at any speed. I pulled the cover day before yesterday again and 90% of the teeth had a chip in the drive side in the area circled in red below:

[​IMG]

That is a picture from when I set them up so you can see the pattern. I didn't get a pic of the chips but they are about 3/16" wide and 1/32" or so deep on almost every tooth. The oil was good and the only thing stuck to the magnet was the little pieces of tooth. The backlash is still right at .007" and everything is tight. Pinion teeth are fine.

Since I don't own a tape recorder I duct taped my video camera under the truck and went for a ride so you can hear the noise and the conditions thats cause it:

Right Click Save As

Anyway, any ideas? I know I'm going to need a new gearset now but what the heck could cause this all the sudden?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifThats pretty weird Jason. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. willyswanter

Yep, I've never seen it before... Oh well, I'm towing it to blazerfest since I know this will die on the highway trip there so I guess I'll try my hardest to blow a 14 bolt R/P in the tank trap /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep, I've never seen it before... Oh well, I'm towing it to blazerfest since I know this will die on the highway trip there so I guess I'll try my hardest to blow a 14 bolt R/P in the tank trap /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    1. What are you going to tow it with?
    2. Does this mean the rolling machine shop that I heard about isn't coming?
    3. I'll be watchin' the tank!

5. willyswanter

Lol, nah I'm selling the enclosed trailer to help offset the cost of my new purcases... Pulling it with a 99 dodge 3500 dually CTD, my grandpas, on my new 25 foot gooseneck trailer /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif . I'm buying my own 2002 3500 Dodge dually 4x4 CTD when I get back /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm buying my own 2002 3500 Dodge dually 4x4 CTD when I get back /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Fancy! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

"Since I don't own a tape recorder I duct taped my video camera under the truck and went for a ride so you can hear the noise and the conditions thats cause it:"

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    I just about pissed myself laughing when I read that /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Thats an awsome way to show your problem /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    I only wish I cold help you /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Sorry if you are offended by this post
    I just can't stop laughing BWAAAHHAAHHAA

8. willyswanter

I'll do anything for a laugh /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Video camera , duct taped under truck /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    BTW looks like lots of room to work under there , do you think it might be your pinion or carrier bearings?

So now for the truth , did you suck in one of your friends to go for a ride under your truck /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. poorboy1

poorboy1 Registered Member

Are you running a locker or posi? After the noise started did you try changing the oil again, maybe not compatable with a locker or limited slip? That wouldn't explain the chipped teeth though..i guess i'm not much help, but duct tapping your camera under the truck is damn funny. i mean that in a good way. you should do that at your next wheeling trip then you can edit it in with someone else's footage for an awsome tape.