Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GEAR QUESTION

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TB2Blazer, May 12, 2003.

1. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

How can I find out what gear ratio I am running in my 85 K5. I've got a 14ff that I am going to put in the rear of my blazer that came from an 85 sub but I don't know the gear ratio in either of them.

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Yank the cover and count the teeth on the ring and pinion. The other way is to jack up the rear end, mark the pinion yoke and tire, turn the tire 1 full turn and count how many times the yoke turns.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> There was a tag inder one of the diff cover bolts when the truck left the factory, that's the easiest way if they're still there. The tooth counts are also stamped on the edge of the ring gear. The stamp is generally the most accurate way to find out the ratio.</font>

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think they stopped using the tags in the 70's. Have never seen mention of them in the 80's service manuals. Only tag I've seen are the "limited slip diff" tags.

Gear ratio code is stamped into the passenger side axle tube, no reason for GM to put a tag on it as well.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

yeah, drive for 1 revolution of the tires, see howmany thimes the driveshaft truns.