Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highlow, Feb 15, 2005.

1. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

Who in AZ has upgraded their gears? I want to go from my 3:73 to a 4:11 or 4:56 in my d 44 and 12 bolt is this even possible? If you guys have had this done who did it for you and roughly how much did you get charged? Any info would be great thanks

EAT AMERICAN BEEF:D

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I wouldnt bother re-gearing a 12 bolt rear, for the same price you could get a used ff14b rear end with the gears you want (especially if you go with 4.10s) already in it.

j

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got a 14bff with a detroit in it and 4.56 gears for $400 in mint condition. Not to preach but it'd honestly just be easier to get a 14 bolt if you don't mind the swap work and different rims.

4. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Alot cheaper in the long run too.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Talk to the boys at Desert Rat in Mesa. Eric and his crew do some good work. They are one of the only Desert Rat shops that do though.

What direction are you headed with the truck? What size tires, what type of offroading, what transmission, etc.

Honestly I wouldn't pay the money for a jump from 3.73 to 4.10. I would spend the money on a doubler setup or something and get the gears in the tcase for offroading instead of spending alot of money on the axles for very little gearing gain. The money spent for the gearing gain is much better for a doubler setup. When all is said and done with axle gears you could be up in the neighborhood of $800-1000 for front and rear gears. A doubler setup can be done for not much more and the gearing gain is much more.
    Harley