Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Questions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big'nBadK5, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

I am swapping in new axles soon and want to change the gears when i do, i have a an open diff 14bff and an open d44 both with 4.10's i believe, i want to go to some sort of locker but have heard mixed opinions about the detroit locker. I do drive the truck everyday and would like to retain some driveability.So any opinions on types of lockers to use for everyday driving / offroading. I want to put an OX locker in the front i think, it seams like the best combination of usability/strength. and for now i will be running 33's the next set will be a set of 35/37 inchers so what do you think would be a sutable gaer ratio for all of that stuff? thanks alot.

2. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the 3/4 ton club. I am running the same setup (44/14 with 4.10 ratio). I can not tell you enough good things about the Detroit for that 14 Bolt. The bullet-proof strength and "dont need to think about it" operation if great. I have driven gov-lock, powertrax, and sereral limited slip units and I like the detriot the best. But be warned there is a learning curve to driving it. It is not a quiet and gentle beast. The "Detroit Noise" will scare the crap out of passengers who are not truck savy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The general view on this axle combo is that the 44 can safely take 36" tires in stock form if you go easy. with an OX or other locker in the front maybe 35" should be max.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you run 33's now and plan to go to 35-37's then I say 4.56 or 4.88 gears. I run 4.56's and 32's and it is tolerable with OD on the highway (RPM wise). I am also planning 35-37" so that is my reason for 4.56's.

As for the Detroit, I can't tell you much. I have only ridden in one truck with a detroit rear.

4. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

Two things, one why would the stock form of the d44 be more stout (can handle 36") then if i were to put an OX locker in it (can handle 35" max) ? and what is this fabled detroit noise and the curve you speek of? i dont want to go into the whole thing blind to whats going on and have the rear making a sound like it's going to sh*t the bed on me. thanks again.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

An open diff is less stressed in off road situations than one with a locker. More than anything the type of wheeling will make a big difference...in mud the locker shouldn't be any harder on the axle shafts and U-joints. Trail and rocks are another thing though.

As for the Detroit, every once in a while it will sound like your tranny just fell out...pretty hard to predict when it'll happen too. The first time you hear it you'll prolly stop and check the truck over (I did.../forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)
    Other than that it's not difficult to drive with one, very similar to a tight limited slip in corners. It's much more unruly with a 4 speed than an automatic...

Rene

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The reason the stock D44 will take the bigger tire is because when you add a traction device (locker) you apply alot more load on the front axle. Usually the tire with the least traction gets more power, now the tire with more traction gets more power and is harder on drivetrain parts. Lockers make it easier to break axleshafts and ujoints because of the added stress on the driveline. If you have one front tire off the ground the power goes to the one tire on the ground, so 100% of the energy in the driveline is on half the axle. If you have an open front all the power goes to the tire in the air and you have 0% stress on the front axleshafts.

The noises the detroit makes are small pops to large bangs as it reengages and disengages when you get off the gas. It all depends on how much bind is on the axle, and how hard you get in and out of the throttle. I can't say much more then that on the detroit as I don't have one, and have only ridden in a truck with one once.