Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Ratio ID

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HD, Mar 24, 2004.

1. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

I have a 10 bolt front and rear, and I can not find info on the casting number of this axle. The numbers are:
    "KHB G287 2" also I found two more numbers: "1254333", and GM34 (rear) GM8 (front). Can any one tell me what my gear ratio is on my '83 diesel K5? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Pop the diff cover off and post up the numbers off the edge of the ring gear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That, or if your gear-sets are the same as how they came from the factory...look in the glovebox and give us all the codes on that sticker that start with "G"

4. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pop the diff cover off and post up the numbers off the edge of the ring gear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm going to have to wait on that one. I'm parked on a hill with a starter on order. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That, or if your gear-sets are the same as how they came from the factory...look in the glovebox and give us all the codes on that sticker that start with "G"

[/ QUOTE ]
    I looked there too, you can not read the writing anymore.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If someone has an '83 parts manual, I *think* that "KHB" is probably the axle code.

Typically on the passenger side axle tube, about midway between the tire and centersection.

GM seemed to change the stamped in codes on the axles very often (every year from what I've seen on cars) so most likely the '83 parts manual will be the only deefinitive guide.

Of course, nothing wrong with popping the diff covers, just not in your case right now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

try turning the pinion and counting how many times it spins to make the tires (both of them) rotate one full revolution. If you get 3.5 turns you have 3.42's, 3.75 turns=3.73's, 4 turns=4.10's. If only one tire spins you'll get double the number of turns at the pinion due to the spider gears. Good luck figuring it out.