Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gear ratio is .02 different & question about warn hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Truckfan2, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

I have a D44 front w/4.09's and a 14 bolt w/4.11s... when in 4x4 going straight on pavement or even gravel the truck looses it's handling (what little of it) and the front hubs torque lock imediately... could .02 difference in the gear ratio cause this? The torque lock could be normal but the handling is absolute s^*#. Could it be due to a loose steering gear (I have a steering box brace) or bad pump? btw... when I start the truck and take off right away when it's cold, sometimes the power steering fades out for a second until the rpm's go up. Any suggestions/opinions would be appreciated.

About the hubs: I have Warn Premium hubs. The left side is incredibly hard to engage or disengage when they're cold... the right side is not a problem. Also one of the hubs seems lose but the bolts are all tight... is this all normal?

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well usually the front is supposed to have the steeper gears not the back. Could be causing trouble then from the back being steeper. Your hubs dont sound right, either just my $.02.

Two lanes wide, twelve yards long, sixty-five tons of American pride....Canyanero!

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

The diff. in gears won't make a difference. You should only engage 4 wheel drive on loose driving conditions like mud or gravel or snow which would allow some slippage. Tire pressure and other things make the .02 negligible anyways.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

even in snow the steering isn't right.

oh yeah... i have no clue why this is but on some days my steering wheel is offcenter to the left, and then the next day it's to the right. it usually happens after i hit a bump or something like that... steering is good but it seems to differ day by day which worries me. The linkage is all new and I have 14" wide ground hawgs

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Just a thought, but have you checked your u-bolts on front axle. If they are somewhat loose it could cause part of the problems you describe.

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Look at the adjusting sleeve on the draglink. If the wheel is off-center different ways on each side, it is probably loose. Your tie rods may also be really worn out, which would account for some of the handling problem.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

7. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

on the hub that is hard to engage when cold,,,,,make sure its not packed with grease....everything in there just needs a light coat to keep it from corroding.....

AIRBORNE!!

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

As already mentioned, the .02 difference in gearing should make absolutely no difference as uneven tire wear between the front and rear or differences is air pressure can make more of a difference than that.

From what you describe, I think there is probably a very worn or loose part in the steering or suspension since you mention the steering wheel does not stay centered. I would check the following:
    1. frame around where the steering box mounts, check for cracks or loose mounting bolts...the box could be shifting when bumps are hit
    2. loose u-bolts allowing the front axle to shift on the springs
    3. loose or broken spring bolts, worn spring bushings (I broke a shackle bolt which caused a similar condition)

If all of the above check out okay, start looking at all of the tie rod ends and wheel bearing for looseness. These typically don't cause the problem with the steering wheel being centered differently after a bump, but rather just cause a loose or sloppy feel.

9. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

thanks guys... i'll check it next time i'm home. I'm going on spring break this weekend and then our school marches in the St. Patty's Day parade in Chicago... Look for my on TV!!

No, serious now... I hust put a 6" lift on the truck and it has a raised steering arm and a dropped draglink (to adjust it one has to disconnect one side then twist it in or out then install it again so i highly doubt it's that). The tie rod ends are new along with all of the bearings in the hub. It could be the preload on the bearing which I'll recheck (once it's warmer here)... I did all the work myself and it is possible that I didn't tighten the stuff to the correct torque (damned stone age of a torque wrench!). again, thanks for your time.

10. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

I believe the threads on the lock nuts inside the Dana 44 are different side to side. One side "automatically" tends to tighten as the wheel rotates forward while the other side tends to loosen because the wheel is rolling in the direction necessary to cause this loosening. If this condition gets too bad, the outer lock nut can back itself out (on the driver's side) and starts to press against the locking hub. In a really bad case, the leverage of the threads can blow out the driver's side hub. The fact that your hub is hard to work on that side is a good indication you have this problem. Keep an eye on the torque on the lock nuts!!!

11. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

Also, as to the loose hub, that is normal. Machining process is not really strict on the ends of your axle and that will account for looseness on one or both hubs even though the bolts are tight. You should ditch the rubber seals that came with your hub and apply a little bead of red permatex around the hub instead to keep stuff out.

12. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Not sure if someone already mentioned this, but your ball-joints or your bearings could be shot. Jack the front of the truck and try to shake the tires up-down and side-to-side. If they move with the spindle, its time for new ball-joints, if the tire moves alone and the spindle stays still, it could be a loose or bad bearing.

Hope this helps.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Have you checked and retightened all of the spring bolts and u-bolts since the kit was installed? It's not uncommon for u-bolts to work themselves loose after the first couple of hundred of miles on a new kit as the "settle in". Also check to make sure the spring center bolts are fully seated into the spring pads on the axle tube as I have heard of people having problems with the pin being too long and not letting the springs to sit flush on the pads.
    The thing that would worry me the most is that the steering wheel does not stay centered as you mentioned. I still think you would have to have something shifting around for this to happen. Worn tie rod ends or loose bearings usually don't cause issues with steering wheel centering but instead only cause a loose feeling.

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The threads are not reversed on the spindles of any Dana 44 I've ever come across. They're standard thread on both sides. You just have to get that lock nut tight! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>