Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Ratio & Locker Advice Needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sb7979, Jul 24, 2001.

1. sb7979

sb7979 Registered Member

I have an 82 Jimmy, Small Block, 700R4, 32 inch tires, that just puked the rear pinion gear. It sees average off road use, but will probably never have anything larger than a 33 inch tire on it. For that reason I have decided to skip the axle swap and just re-gear the stock axles. What gear ratio would you guys recommend? I was thinking 4.56. Is that too low for highway driving (this is also my winter car for going to work, about 30 miles one way)?
    Also, I was thinking about putting a Detriot EZ Locker in the rear. Anyone have any experience and/or comments on these units?

Thanks
    Scott

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by sb7979 on 07/24/01 06:46 PM.</FONT></P>

2. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

imo i think 456 with 32-33 is a little steep for a lot of highway driving, and i have heard a locked rear is not great in the snow or ice on the pavement, but no experience with snow or ice, cause i live on the coast of SC. but if you use 456 your lowend should be awesome i think

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

3. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

4.56 w/the overdrive would be a good choice. Final drive comes out to 3.192 in OD. Great acceleration, plus good cruise RPM for the commute.

4. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    i do not recommend the detroit ez locker, ive see three on them puke, I think the Loc-Rite is the better choice, or a full Detroit but thats $$. i also think the 4.56 is a little much,but you do have the overdirve..even so id go w/ 4.10s on 33s

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by ScoobyDann on 07/24/01 10:20 PM.</FONT></P>

5. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 350,SM465,NP241C with 4.10 gears and 33's and it's damn near unstoppable in the winter up here in Maine.

Don't forget to fill out your profile.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

With the O/D 4.56 &amp; 33s make a nice combo. Unless you have a need to run hiway speeds in 3rd, ie. towing a trailer, then I would say 4.10. If you need to change the cairer anyway I would go with a Detroit. That would also take care of the 10B main weekness. What ever you do stay as far away from the EZ as possible. If you want a drop in go with the Lock Rite.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I ran 3.73s and 32s with a 305 for years, but it was always a little underpowered at highway speeds. I think 4.10s would be perfect if you never go larger than 33s. (that's what they all say) I think 4.56s would just be too steep for a daily commuter with those tires.

I polled not too long ago about using a posi vs. a locker. You might serach for that post. A lot of guys said that a locker is very dangerous in the snow, but that a posi is very good for that scenario. Check out their comments. I kind of ignored them as I live in TX. Snow? What's that? [​IMG]

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think that 4.56 gears would work pretty good since you have an overdrive tranny. Years ago I switched from the stock 3.73 gears to 4.10's after installing 33" tires, and if I could do it over it would have had at least 4.56 gears.