Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Ratio Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CaveBlazin, Jun 18, 2002.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is the largest gear ratio a 10 bolt can carry and what about a 14 bolt just curious and which is the prefered one of all. I might be doing some upgrading hehehe and just needed some general info on the gear ratios...

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Biggest reasonable on a 10-bolt is 4.56. They offer up to 5.57 for a 10-bolt, but anything beyond 4.56 has a very small pinion gear and is not reasonable for our application.

I don't know on the 14B, but I know a few people running 5.13s. Here is a chart that may help you. The 10-bolt on this chart is the 8.5. I don't know what on this chart would be the 14BFF.

3. CaveBlazin

Thanks on the info now what would make it a 1 ton rear end if its got lets say 3.73 gears or does that not make it a one ton Im confused

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Gear ratio has nothing to do with 1-ton. The 1/2-ton, 3/4-ton and 1-ton designations have to do with payload capacity from the factory. The heavier payload the rig was designed for, the "bigger" the components. Typically, GM 1/2-ton rigs had 10-bolt or Dana 44 axles; 3/4-ton models typically had Dana 44 front axles and 14 bolt rear axles; 1-tons had Dana 60 front axles and 14 bolt rears. That is "in general", there were some differences.

With each step up the axle "chart", so to speak, the axle shafts get thicker, the ring gears get bigger, and the u-joints get bigger. So do other things, but these are the primary parts. Bigger means stronger. There are also some design differences between the models like full floating rears and so forth. You can search this site to learn more about these changes.

What you are looking at in this post is gear ratio. Numerous gear ratios are available for the various axles. That simply has to do with the gearing between the tranny/tcase and the wheels. It does not have anything to do with the load rating of the components.

This help some?

5. CaveBlazin

Thanks Brian for the useful info I was kinda confused but now Im tracking. Thanks