Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear ratio question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by white_knight, Nov 24, 2002.

1. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

It's been a long time since I've posted here but yes I have been lurking /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This winter will involve quite a few mods for the Knight.

Going to do a 4 link rear ,coils, going automatic -th400, predator carb, extending wheel base, lowering it a bit , 35 spline everything, 14 bolt rear,disc brakes and a few other things

One of my questions is gears. Right now I have 410 gears with an sm465. The engine is a 468 ci ( 450-500 horses and about the same in torque) 44" boggers. Did really well in the mud with that set up. I'm going to be more flexy and withthe switch over to auto I will definately need to upgrade gears. I am not sure if I should go 488's or 513's. Don't want to loose wheelspin. I am not looking for a rockcrawler. I want an all around wheeling truck that can do mud, a couple of mud races, a bit of rock climbing, hills- that sort of thing

Any feedback on which gear ratio some of you might recommend.

well here

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I am runnin 38.5's with 4:56's, I paln on steppin up to the plate next year with 1 ton axles sporting 5:38's & 44 Boggers!
    4:56's right now are a little under powered! But that might be due to Stock GM Crate 350! Soon I hope to have BBC! Mo Power! Good thing! LOL!
    Bill

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

well i doubt you will be driving it on the freeway much lol so i would say do it once and go with the 5:13's /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

I'm leaning towards 513's but isn't the lower the gear the smaller the pinion and weaker?? As well, how much will that affect wheelspin? I mean for rockcrawling it would be great but what about mud?

I'll need new detroits with the gears..that's why I want to get as much info as possible before I blow the cash

Shiat, maybe I'll justgo 513's and see how it goes.........

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

With the TH400 I'd definitely go 5.13's. Unlike the 465 you aren't limited to one gear and the rev limiter in the mud. With the torque you have it'll keep shifting as needed and will prolly have more wheelspeed even though the ratio is deeper.

The deeper gears will also put more power to the ground...

4HI, 50 MPH wheelspeed with 5.13's and the TH400 in first would be 5100 RPM...

Rene