Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Ratio Suggestions . . .

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FireKyle, Mar 10, 2007.

1. FireKyle

FireKyle Registered Member

Just curious as to what everyone thinks is the " best " choice on gear ratio for a daily driver / weekend warrior 88 K5 350/700/241 ? I am wanting to do a 4" lift with 35" tires. My question is . . . 4.10's or 4.56's ? Also has anyone have any input on Heckethorn lifts? Are they the same as Rough Country ? Haven't found anything on this lift here on CK5. Thanks for any and all info. !!!

2. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

Do you see alot of highway miles? then I would go 4.56s if you do alot of city driving go with 4.88s. Are you running 10 bolts front and rear?

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

UUUM, actually you can run 4.10's just fine with 35" tires,,,,,,,,it works,,,,,i personally know,,,,,,it's not real happy with towing anything with significant weight, but by it's self it does just great.

Honestly i wouldn't go any higher that 4.56 if you did them.

and why didn't you jump all over him to use the search feature on THIS question,,,,this has been covered several HUNDRED times as well??? :confused:

:doah: :haha: :D

4. iwaxmyjimmy

Because he didn't give enough info on his driving style, if he had long commutes or what not. But, also I was feeling a little nicer and didnt want to seem like and ass. With the 700R4s over drive the lowest I'd go is 4.56 with 35s and I would look into gettin 4.88s because of the 70% overdrive

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would do 4.88's if I had it to do over. I have 4.56's and they are ok but I wish I had a little more. The OD will make up for the deep gears. If you ever plan on tires bigger then 35" then get 4.88's or 5.13's.

Harley

6. FireKyle

Hey thanks for all the great information !!! Does anyone have any more info on the Heckethorn question ? I mainly do city driving , but would be doing the occasional long distance trip to wheel on the weekends. And yes I still have the 10 bolts front and rear. So 4.88's are the way to go ? Cool thanks !

7. iwaxmyjimmy

Don't waste your money regearing a rear 10 bolt. Find a 3/4 ton swap or go one ton. When you get into the 4.56 and up gears on a 10 bolt the pinion has such a small diameter is factures really easy. The fronts last longer geared up because the the rotation.

8. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd go 4:88's also. I run them with 35" tires and a 700r4 and love it.

9. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

i ran 4.88's on my old truck with 37's and 10bolts, 15k miles w/ no problems and some hard wheelin too...but i did have my fingers crossed for all 15k of those miles, haha. i sometimes wish i had went 5.13, but on the interstate, the 4.88's were perfect for HP and mileage . i'd go 4.56 if i were you, but 4.88 if you do alot of in town driving like iwaxmyjimmy said above.

10. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

I vote for 3.73s if you see highway alot, 4.10s if rarely highway... 4.56s if no highway and just slow city and trail use. Im on 2.73s and mine had plenty of pickup before my TH350 died.
    350/350/208/10 bolts.. on 35s. Maybe im just used to driving slowass vehicles.. but gears like mine put stress on the rest of the drivetrain

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The combination of 3.73 axle gears with 35" tires would pretty much make OD in the 700r4 useless. In a truck with non-OD trans that's not a bad combination if you drive a lot of highway, but if you have a trans with OD might as well get the benefit out of it.

I would go at least 4.56 or 4.88.

12. FireKyle

Hey thanks again for all the help ! I am leaning toward 4.88 ' s . Any more opinions out there ? Like I said before, I am going to be taking a few trips a year of around 400 round trip miles of interstate . The rest of the time rural highways and in town. Thanks again !