Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Ratio

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76 jimmy Az, Apr 18, 2000.

1. 76 jimmy Az

76 jimmy Az Registered Member

I dont know how to find my gear ratio on my car and dont want to open up the diff and count the teeth can anyone help? i have a 1976 GMC Jimmy 4 speed manual witha 350

2. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Registered Member

OK Simple. Mark a chalkline on your drive line. Mark another one on your tire . Have your buddy, you know the one handing you the beer, watch the tire chalk line while you watch the driveline chalkline. Roll the machine until the chalkline on the tire returns to it's original position. It will then have made 1 rotation. The chalkline on the driveline will have rotated the exact amount of the diff ratio, like maybe 3.73 times. At some point you'll have to interpolate. I'm sure your up to it. Go to it!!

3. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Or you can look at the sticker in the glovebox if it's still in there. Somewhere there was a post on what the "G" codes meant. I know I found out that I had 3.73 stock, and the factory posi.

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

4. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Between the pumpkin and the spring mount on the pass side on top of the axle tube there should be a 3 digit letter code. I've taken this code and called the dealership, they should be able to tell you what the gear ratio is and if it has a lim. slip, open, etc. Or you could get lucky and the tag might still be on the front diff cover, if the gears have not been switched.