Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Ratio

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76 jimmy Az, Jun 3, 2000.

1. 76 jimmy Az

76 jimmy Az Registered Member

Mar 14, 2000
    I kno0w this question has been asked manys times but i need to find my gear ratio on my jimmy. It is a 1976 GmC Jimmy with a 350. What was the stock gear ratio for this year. I need your help. Second, I just installed a tach in my truck and with my 350 at what RPM is it in the orange or caution area thanx for your time
  2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    There were several options on gear selection for each year (or at least 1979)

Easiest way:
    1) Lift one wheel
    2) Rotate it exactly two compete turns
    3) The number of turns of your driveline is your gear ratio:

Example: roughly 4 turns = 4.11, almost 4 turns = 3.73, etc.

If you want to be more exact, turn the wheel 4 turns and divide the driveline turns by two.
    If your engine is stock, and never rebuilt, I'd never try to run it over 4K RPM, unless you're running scared from a dinosaur following you. You can build your own engine to be able to go over 9K if you like.

<font color=blue>//////
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]
  3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Feb 20, 2000
    As long as the ratio has not been changed from stock, just open the glove box...as long as it has not been changed from stock, and read thru all of the options, and there should be one rear ratio and it will say 3.08, or 3.42, or 3.73...somthing like that. There you go!