Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear reduction starter on a 6.2????????

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by uao85, Aug 25, 2006.

1. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Is there a gear reduction starter available for my m1008 with a 6.2??? I have already converted the wiring to 12v from 24v.

Remington

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yes, it's the 28MT found on newer 6.2's and 6.5's. Pretty much a straight bolt in deal, but you'll need to either mod the current starter nose brace or source the correct one from GM for the 28MT.

Rene

3. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

So whats the difference between the 27t and 28t? I have found both, but would like to know the difference. They listed the 28t for a manual transmission, and a 27t for an automatic.???I am confused.

Remington

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I ran the 28MT in an 700R4 truck. Greatly improved starting, especially when the motor was warm, and on very cold starts in the winter.

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Rene,

Is this brace the one mounted on the rear of the starter? Just checking since I have a gear reduction starter arriving tomorrow and didn't know anything about a modification.

6. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

The brace goes on the front of the starter. You can make one out of some scrap angle iron.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

i guess it's the rear of the starter...it's attached to the end that isn't plugged into the bellhousing.

Rene

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. I had planned on redrilling the support, but wasn't too sure if that was the only modification after reading the initial posts.

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I swapped the factory starter on my '84 C20 with 6.2 and 700R4 for a 28MT. The factory brace bolted right back on. Also, I've had experience with the Powermaster 6.2 starter. I do believe it spins the motor almost fast enough to drive. Still, good battery cables and good connections on both ends seem to make as much difference as the 27-28 MT swap.

10. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

sweet, just got my 28t starter fedex yesterday, along with some other goodies today like the power window/locks/keyless entry conversion kit, dual tank valve for the biodiesel/vegi oil setup, hid headlight conversion, stereo, windstar fans, 9" spal fan, tranny cooler...........I think thats it.......oh yeah and all my weatherpack connectors will be coming in today, will also be picking up some eclipse bucket seats and a pass side truck gas tank some time this week to swap out my bench seat and add the dual tank setup, and making a center console........Im giddy with anticipation......so much to do and so little time.....I should be starting to put everything together this week sometime or maybe next week. Cant wait.

Remington