Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gear reduction starter... what to get...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Sep 19, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

thinking of getting one of them nifty gear reduction starters. question is, which one should I get. Summit has theirs on sale (both the 1.9hp and 3.1hp models are around $50 off), but there is also powermaster, mean green and then there are these on ebay...

ebay gear reduction starter

what do you guys think? My rig is a little slow to start sometimes, and a little less weight/amp draw is always a good thing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif That ebay one is dirt cheap, any1 bought one of these? if so, hows it workin for ya?

j

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i got powermaster. the only thing i now regret is not puttin in all 3 bolts to hold it on. it sheared one of the bolts off and i ended up puttin the 3rd bolt in n e wayz...live and learn. but on the good side, i couldnt b happier with it
    NITRO

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Several peeps here have gotten the Summitt one and have been happy....Fairly recent post too....

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    ....Fairly recent post too....

[/ QUOTE ]

did a search b4 i posted, went 3 months back.. was it in the garage forum? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i didnt see any other threads, not ones comparing different brands anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a summit gear reduction starter on my BBC. Works great. Never had a problem with it, only once it didn't want to start when it was REALLY HOT.
    Another thing was i had to remove a header to get the large stock starter out of there... I decided to get a mini gear reduction starter, so now i can change the starter without having to take anything else off like one of the headers again.

6. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

sounds like maybe i should think of getting one for my ford.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I went to my local starter/alternater rebuild shop and he had Nippondenso type for my 454 for 100.00 works great.