Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Reduction Starter

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rustyk5, Sep 15, 2005.

1. rustyk5

rustyk5 Registered Member

I want to bolt up one of those before the snow flies up here because my 6.2 doesn't cold start very well. I remember Rene telling me I needed the bracket to bolt it up on my 6.2 block. I can't find one at any of the junkyards around me, and I don't see a listing in GM Parts Direct. Does anyone have a part number or know where I should look. Better yet does any forum member have one for sale? Thanks in advance.

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Go to the dealer, they have them. Only a few $'s

3. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

starter hdwe 1989-99 6.2L/6.5L Front Support Bracket 23502557

You can also make your own out of angle iron. The 6.5 bracket is a straight piece, but the GM part is only a few bucks.

Look up at the "boatload of part numbers" post. There's a bunch part #'s there.

4. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Yup I went to the dealer and bought mine for like less than three bucks.

Got home and took it out of the bag and was like !!!! I could have made that myself in ten minuets out of a piece o angle iron.

Ah well. If the dealer is on your way home it is nice to have the official factory piece.

5. rustyk5

Thanks! you guys rock! :bow:
    I love this forum :wink1:

6. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

what size is that block bolt?

hey, when you bolt that bracket up...... could you let me know what size bolt goes into the block, mine shook loose and fell off. I just installed the gear reduction starter too (works like a dream). Anyways, i'de like to put my rear support bracket back on for security, just don't know the size. Thanks.

7. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

if memory serves me correctly the bolt is a M8x1.25

8. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

i have never had problems starting my truck in below zero weather without being pluged in, and i had a regular old starter. How old and what type of batteries do you have? have you checked the glow plugs and controller?

9. rustyk5

I've got ONE optima red top, the bigger one, 960amps I think and Kennedy glow plugs. I personally haven't touched the controller but it looks new. I put a resister on the controller to get about 10 seconds of glow time. My light comes on and everything "clicks" at start up, but I haven't checked each plug with a test light. It just sounds like it isn't rolling fast enough. It never stalls once started and I dont have any air bubbles in my return line every time I check. I did convert to an electric fuel pump, and the starter was rebuilt last fall. I replaced my battery cables with cold crimpped size 0 wire as well. Maybe I'm missing something but I think the starter will solve my issues.

10. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Sounds identical to my issues last year and a 6.5 starter did the trick. I reused the original brace by just turning the bolt holes into slots.
    And the bolt head was a 10mm socket so M8 is probably correct.

11. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Why just one battery? You're asking that one battery to do a lot of work every time you start. I know you can get away with just one, but trust me, doubling your cranking amps with the second battery will make the engine spin over much faster and start easier. However, adding a 6.5L starter will be a great improvement as well.

If the new starter doesn't help much, I wouldn't go any farther with troubleshooting until you've added the second battery.

Casey

12. rustyk5

thanks to everyone with all the help :D