Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Reduction Starter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350k5, Sep 27, 2005.

1. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

What is the real advantage to one of these? I just got a new 350 small block installed on my 84 and was told my old starter was pretty much crap (probably going to break some teeth off of my new flywheel) so he put on a Gear Reduction Starter. Did I really get my moneys worth here because I don't notice much of a difference from before. It doesn't seem to have much more starting power, but the guy did say it would last as long as I had the truck.

What do you guys think? Is a gear reduction really worth it and does it live up to the talk? :confused:

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Mopar has run them forever and a day. Most of the new cars and trucks I have heard are running them. Only bad Mopar starters I have encountered were caused by oil leaks soaking into them.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I had a GR starter from a 350 Vortec on my 350 TBI. It seemed more efficient (i.e. less current draw). I think it cranked faster.

I can't speak for longevity... I only had it about 2 years before I jumped on the diesel bandwagon.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

THey work well and start better. I know that much. I put a non gear reduction on my 97 Vortec, it hated started that motor, and thats just a stock 9 something :1 compression motor. S10 is getting one to crank off the 10:1 383 and conserve space.