Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sickquad, Nov 23, 2003.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

So, I'm going to replace my gears. I have a 700r4, 203 and I think I am going into the 4's for a ratio. I looked around on the board but came up with nothing for tips on doing this. I work as a machinist so I can indicate parts in. Anybody have any info on this subject for me? Maybe a good link? I have 10 bolt axles.

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Let me be the first to suggest the axle swap. Going from 1/2 to 3/4 ton (or better if you get lucky) with the right gears already installed will more than likely be cheaper than upgrading the 10b's.

I am working on the axle swap myself, and have a set with 4.56's installed. I can't comment on how I like it yet, but it certainly has to be an improvement....

3. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'll second the swap idea. I had planned on building up my 1/2 ton stuff, but after adding everything up(lockers, upgraded parts etc.) It comes out cheaper to find some axles to swap in and build up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Z

4. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

You are right on the axles. I have 1 ton setups for the spring. They are going in when I can afford the wheels, tires, lift and brakes for them. That will be the spring. For now I have to get buy with these. Replacing gears is something I would like to do anyways. I refuse to let someone else work on my truck. So, anyone else with some info?

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i did my own gear change for the same reason....i hate to pay someone else. Was not so bad and learned alot.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

it takes special tools and ability to do gear swaps in GM and dana axles, you hav to know how to set up things such as gear tooth contact pattern and backlash and so forth and that requires tools such as a dial indicator and so forth

picking which ratio is best all depend son what RPM you are getting at highway speeds and if you are even gonna use it for highway use anyways. if so then id go with 4.10, but if not then 4.56 or 4.88 should be in order, depending on tire height and such

good luck

7. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Looked through all of my old 4 wheeler mags, and the internet and still can't find a "how to". Anyone else?

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Looked through all of my old 4 wheeler mags, and the internet and still can't find a "how to". Anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

find an old GM truck service manual 63-82 for 12 bolt 8.875" and 77-up for 10 bolt 8.5", these manuals will have all the info you will need plus diagrams/exploded views