Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Set-Up Question??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OffRoader93, Aug 11, 2004.

1. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

I am helping a friend put some gears and a locker in a Ford 9 Inch. We are having a problem with the crush collar between the two pinion bearing. The collar is hitting the two bearings before the bearings seat in their races. We used a 30 ton press to try and get the bearings to seat right and that wouldn't even do it. Is the collar important because I can't figure out what the point of it even is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brenton

2. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Yes you need the collar, or if you know the exact distance between the bearings I'm told you can cut a piece of tubing to use as a spacer (I haven't done this). I used a press on the crush collar itself to start it to deform and then installed it and used an impact gun to tighten the pinion nut until I got the proper bearing preload.
    hope this helped. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yes you need it, it keeps preload on the bearings. If it wont crush, maybe you have the wrong sleeve?!? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Danas dont have a crush sleeve, instead they have shims, that you add or subtract to get the right preload.