Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Splitter vs. NV4500 i need pics and opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Jan 22, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have the Ranger OD gear splitter? If you do would you mind posting a picture of how it is attached and where the shifter for it is and what it looks like? How is it working out?

How is this in comparison to swapping to NV4500. What all is involved with the install, can shifter come out in the same place as the sm465 does? anyone have pics for this one? Thanks!

2. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i don't have either but i heard that the ranger gear spliter is bad news /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif i guess its sometimes hard to shift /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. i hope someone can disprove what i've heard because i've thought about getting one /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

if overdrive is all your looking for than gearvendors overdrive unit may be the way to go. unlike the ranger it only works in 2 wheel drive. but hear there top of the line /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Back in the early 80's I ran one in a F**D truck with 390 power. Ranger unit mounted to stock bellhousing and stock trans (4 speed) mounted to ranger unit. Shifter for ranger unit came thru floor at about the stock shifter location and stock shifter came thru floor about 8" - 9" farther back. Unit shifted pretty well but was a little cumbersome due to both shifter handles not being same length and angled the same. Was nice for splitting gear though. I also have run a US Gear 2 speed behind a T400 trans and really like that setup. I've given serious thought to a US Gear behind a NV4500 so as to split the gears, especially 3rd and 4th. NV4500 don't like pulling hard in 5th gear and 3rd is a pretty good drop from 4th. Gear Venders isn't rated very high in my book as I've seen 2 of those units destroyed behind trucks used for towing RV trailers.

4. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

I did a litle searching about this recently and found they all have pro's and con's.

The ranger is neat because it fits in front of the tranny, not subject to as much torque so its pretty compact, but it only works with a manual trans. It has its own shift lever and your original shifter moves rearward, may be a space problem.
    The gear vendor hangs off the transfer case so you will only have the OD in two wheel drive - may or may not matter depending on your setup. Also from what I understand the Gear Vendor unit requires rotation of its internal pump to operate, so it will always drop out of OD when you drop below a certain speed.
    The US gear unit is similar to the ranger but goes behind the tranny so it can be used with an automatic. I dont recall if it is mounted between the tranny and transfer case in a 4wd application or not. Some sources say a US Gear unit cant be shifted except stopped, but I read some info on a motor home site from a guy that had a Gear Vendor and a US gear unit on two motor homes and said they both would shift while driving but took a fair amount of coordination to make the shifts smooth. He also said that it wasnt practical to shift either unit to use all the gears while accelerating, the "turn your automatic into a six-speed" is mostly hype. They are best used for the od function and maybe split 2nd gear(in a three speed auto).
    The nv4500 is a good tranny but doesn't really have any better gear splits than a 465, also a nv4500 can get pretty pricey when you figure all the costs, but none of these OD's are cheap either. Another alternative is the nv5600 six speed, if cost is not a big factor, it wins hands down.