Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear strength for the NOOB

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tan tornado, Jan 30, 2004.

1. tan tornado

tan tornado Newbie

Hi there I'm a NOOB. I'm also known as Dixie so I'll answer to whatever ya call me basically. Here's my question. I have a 83 k10 sub /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif. Which would be stronger/weaker, to go from a 3.08 to a 4.56 or from a 3.08 to a 4.88? Which gear is stronger and would the added leverage on the rest of a 28 spline 10 bolt be way too much for it under normal use. I'm an old fart and won't be abuseing anything much. I'm not sinking any more money in the assemblies than just the gear swap and set ups. I'm staying open on both ends. Bottom line is I don't need to run over 55 and would like the torque to take the strain off everything else when I go to the 35's. I'd rather do the 4.88's but wonder if the rest of the axle would handle it. I'd also like to be able to hook to a trailer occasionally. But that would be rare anymore...gp

Thanks much... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

4.88's with 35's will be fine. Since it's an 83' I'm gueesing it has a th700r4 so you should still be able to pull down some decent mileage with OD.

3. tan tornado

tan tornado Newbie

Cool. Think the 10 bolt will be significantly weakened? I know it isn't stout to begin with but think the internals will handle the added torque? I wish I had your 406 BTW.gp /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Cool. Think the 10 bolt will be significantly weakened? I know it isn't stout to begin with but think the internals will handle the added torque?

[/ QUOTE ]
    nope, there is a deal about the gear contact but I wouldn't be worried about it.
    [ QUOTE ]
    I wish I had your 406 BTW.gp /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. tan tornado

tan tornado Newbie

Groovage. Thanks...gp /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif