Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gear swap info!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bad_bo_ti, Sep 29, 2002.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

is there a place online or a book or something that tells step by step instructions for gear swaps, i have 14 boltff and a 10 bolt up front i want to put gears in, i like doing the work myslef and from what i have found about other places working on my truck, i dont want to take it anywhere(left steering gear box bolts loose!!!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif ). i am not in a hurry to swap out gears so i will be able to take my time and check everything over. thanks for your help. chris

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

It could be difficult to do gears yourself if you never have. there are some speciial tools required to do them, and they can sometimes be a pain to get clearances sorrect. these are critical for prolonged gear life. it might cost as much to buy the tools to do it right as to have somebody do them for you. and if you do it wrong, well the gears aren't cheap to start with!!

3. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

14bff gear install this is a link to a 14 bolt gear install but as far as the 10 bolt front i wouldn't be able to tell you. sorry. hope this helps. later.

jacob

4. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I spent all morning with a friend who swaps em for a living, my advice is to find someone who really knows what they are doing and do it with them...its extreamly tidious.