Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ggallin13, Apr 13, 2000.

1. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Hi all! Well, after reading several posts on the matter, I have decided that I should change out my ratios before going with my 35s. I have a 350 and a 700R-4 (I think: there is an "automatic overdrive" sign over the indicator), my Jimmy is an '82. Which is best, 4.10, 4.56, or 4.88s? I know that in my Cruiser 4.10s were optimal with a V8 and 35s with an sm465, but now I am clueless. Also, is the r&p swap something that I can do myself, or should a shop do it? I have put in numerous lifts, put in a jillion stereos, changed out hubs, etc. I am not a novice mechanic, but I am no expert either.

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Unless you've got: a torque wrench that goes up to 400-500 ft/lbs; a dial indicator; a hydraulic press; someone who knows what good gear mesh patterns look like; and lots of patience, I'd let a pro do the gear swap. If you don't get it right, you'll munch those nice new gears and that will SUCK!! Plus, you can probably get some sort of warranty coverage.
    As for ratios, I can't help much there. Mine has 3.73's with 33's, and I'm beginning to think 4.11's may be better. BTW, if you're thinking of a locker/limited-slip, there's no better time than when you're changing gears. You might be able to get a package deal.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Absolutely without a doubt you can have the best of both worlds with 4.56 gears since you have an overdrive tranny. Those gears will give you great torque off the line and you'll still be able to cruise at a low RPM on the highway since you have the 700r4.
    If you almost never go on the highway, get the 4.88's...they'll only be that much better offroad.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

i drive mine all the time on the highway with 4.56 gears and 35" tires. I also have a 700r trans. and it cruises about 200rpm over from what i used to cruise at stock. Hope that helps.