Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Swap??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SummitXMK, Sep 17, 2001.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I need to switch gears in the front so that they match the rear. I can either just switch in the front dana from the same suburban where I got the 12 rear. Or I can just swap the gears inside the pumkin. I think that the one I have is in better shape all the way around than the suburban one. (seals bearings etc. I need to replace the ball joints anyway so I have to take it apart. How hard would it be to just swap the gears. Is it simple undo and reverse process. Ok maybe simple isn't the word. But I shouldn't need to shim or anything like that (ie real technical stuff). Should I? Also where is a good place to get at bearings and seals for this. If I decide to go that far. Or the budget decides I can go that far! Can I just go to NAPA or should I get them somewhere else.

SummitXMK

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 With lots of miles

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Nope. It aint that simple. Each axle housing is line bored with the carrier retainer bearing caps on. And each one could be anywhere from 10-40 thousandths off and this will simply not do for a direct swap out. You would have to get a new installation kit and re-set up the gears. Sorry this isn't what you wanted to hear.

"you know... the guy with the BAD A$$ spring perches!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

3. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

What about swaping everything from the ball joints out? Could I just remove the c clips and pull the axle shafts. Then keep all my brakes and everything from my original axle? I am assuming is has c-clips. I have only torn into a 12 bolts before.

SummitXMK

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

No C-clips on the front. The front axles are headling in buy the hubs, spindles and all that jazz.
    So you want to keep the suburban front adn put all your current stuff on the burban?
    If your gonna do all that you might as well put new ball joints in the burban and keep all the stuff from your current front as spares. And swap out stuff as you make your way through the swap if you see that something needs to be replaced.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

5. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I want everything from the ball joints out that I am using now to go onto the suburban axle. The brakes and rotors and such that came with the burban are all rusted as they have been sitting in back of the shop for like 5 years. Besides I just got the brakes done and greased all that full time hub stuff. Then I figured out what my gear ratio was. So I am using the complete axle for the rear but I want all the freshened up stuff for the front with the new gear ratio. You know I think I just confuesed myself!! But you helped my anyway. Thanks a bunch.

SummitXMK

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You can swap everything over from your current axle housing to the burban housing provided they are the same type via 44 or corp 10 bolt and keep the gears from the burban as they are. Hope this helped and sorry if I confused you!