Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gear swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schmuck, Mar 3, 2003.

1. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

bowtieblazer is giving me a set of 3.73 front and rear that he dosent need any more to replace my 3.08 stock gears and im running 35x12.50s so this will be a nice change for now. ive never swaped out gears before usually i swap axles but a friend of mine has swaped them out by himself in a few vehicles before, but when i told him i needed his help swaping out the gears he seemed iffy, he said hes not sure if he did it right because he just eyeballed them. i know he swaped the gears front and rear in his truck and it lasted 2 years till he sold it. so is there anything that needs to be done besides bolting them in like micing them in place or should i pay a shop to do it for me?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Ask any members in your area if they do it or know someone who does it. I have a local guy that has all the tools that does that kind of thing. Beats paying shop prices !!!!!

3. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i dont realy know any of any members in my area except bowtieblazer who is giving me the gears

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I've heard its not a great job to do if you dont' know what you're doing..

5. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

yeah i guess im going to have to bring it in, anybody know how much it costs to swap them out