Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I have been calling in the KC area and asking what a ball park Idea is on a gear swap would run. If i remove the axils myself, and take to one place it will cost me about $600 or if i take it to a differernt shop it will cost me about $1100. Is that to hi? I am going to a 4.56 from a 3.42 in a 10 bolt rear-end. I would rather not remove the Axles myself, my other car is a 2000 accord, dont thing Sara will like me putting then in there. Unless any one in this area has a 12 or 14 bolt with 4.11 or 4.56 that they want to sell me and put on for me. I have the shop man, just never dont any thing that big. Let me know all.

brettmcox.coloradok5.com

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Too much.
    I can get both axles done for anywhere from 300 - 600 (installation only). Figure another 150 for the gears and install kit.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The local 4x4 shop that does gear swaps charged me about $150 in labor to do the front 10-bolt, which is more involved than the rear because you have to pull the hubs and spindles off to get the shafts out, and about another $200 for the gears, setup parts, and all new bearings. I simply dropped off my truck with a box of parts and picked it up later that day.
    I would say that $600 would be a good deal if that price included all labor and parts.......$1,100 sounds way high.

4. FLWIV440

FLWIV440 Registered Member

labor should not run more than 600. if it does, try someplace.just did the gears, bearings,and locker in a 12 bolt took 5 hours.