Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear swapability?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trollporter, May 26, 2005.

1. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

Will gears out of a Dodge Dana 60 Full-Floater Rear fit into a Chevy Dana 60 front?

Any help would be great!

Last edited: May 26, 2005
  2. trollporter

Somebody? Anybody?

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

To answer correctly we need to know what years and applications of both Dana 60's .
    For the most part the gears should swap housings with no trouble , but if your Dodge FF is a Dana 61 than you may have issues. It might still be doable but you will have to get creative with parts. If your rear Dodge FF is a crush sleeve design than it can swap over as well but you will need to be careful on pinion pre-load as to where you would use shims on the older Dana stuff.
    HTH , Tom

4. trollporter

The chevy D60 front came from a '84 CUCV and the Dodge D60ff rear is a late 70's.

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The front 60 is all good and is of the normal variety but the rear might have a different pinion offset . Get the B.O.M. # off of the passenger side rear axle tube. The number is six digits long than a dash and than another number or two . There is a link somewhere on this site that decodes many years of B.O.M. numbers and should let you know all that you need about that axle.
    Both of your 60's use a shim pack for pinion preload so there will be no surprises in that department.
    Tom

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Won't the ring and pinion be spinning backwards if put in front? I always thought front R&P sets were machined opposite from rears. If this is the case, I don't see it lasting very long, in addition to howling like crazy, but I could be very wrong about that.

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Nope. The gears are either reverse cut for a hi pinion diff housing or standard cut for a low pinion housing. Front or rear application makes no difference to the gear. Both of these are low pinion designs.
    The only thing TROLLPORTER has to deal with is if the R/P is of a offset design in the rear 60 so they will go into the standard GM 60 housing.
    Tom

8. trollporter

Thanks tarussel for all the help. I don't have the 60 @ my shop yet but I will know soon.