Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gear talk

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, Jul 18, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ive noticed once again alot of talk on this subject. but no one when mentions best gears for best mpg's. could someone do a write up on this subject ? say w/ different combinations of lift,tire size, and axels ? and on the subject, i have stock axels -10b front and 12b rear, w/3" body lift, soon to have 4" suspension and running 35's. what gears for me for best mpg's ? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif thanks in advance.-one more thing, wheres the cheapest place to get gears ? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Somone correct me if I'm wrong but, lower gears will be better for short distance city driving becuase it takes less throttle to get up to speed. Now if your gears are too low, on the freeway cruisin' you're RPM's will be high therefore burning up gas. You want to find the perfect combo. If you have an OD tranny i'd go for 4.56 on your 35's. If you don't have OD i'd say go for 4.10's You'll be pretty happy. I foudn the cheapest place was www.drivetrainwarehouse.com
    They have a kit where you can get 2 sets of ring&pinion with teh install kits for 400. I dont think you can get it that price anywhere else. Heres a link... check it out, it shows you best gear/tire combo for gas efficiency, or for power or for best over all daily driver ratios. Hope this helps. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tirel_Gear_Ratio.asp