Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Vendors and a....

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Seventy4Blazer, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Manual transmission.

how does it act. lets say you are putting up a hill, go to shift and the next thing ya know the gear vendors tries to shift up or down just before or just after you do.

im wondering if the GV units are for the slush boxes mainly or if they are the poo for a manual as well.

have a 6 speed and GV unit? how do you like it.
    any other input is liked as well.
    thanks
    Grant

2. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I'm planning almost the same thing....a GV behind an NV4500. I have the GV, but not installed and no 1st hand experience w/it yet. From reading the manual, the GV shifts out on its own, only below a certain low speed. 25 mph or something like that. OD engagement same thing, at a preset speed.

But, this assumes you are using the speed sensor and computer box that comes w/it. You can wire it for manual operation to a SPST switch, but if you forget to disengage it at low speed, the rpm is too low for the oil pressure pump, and thus slippage of, and damage to the cone clutch can happen.

According to the plate on mine, the GV is made in Sheffield, England (used on Bedford and other trucks). The GV uses the same bolt circle as a Volvo OD. My Brit friend says they are very strong, and see service in much higher GVW trucks than they generally see here in the US.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

iI dont know.but i know a guy on here who does know Desert rat has a 700 and a gv....might want to talk to him.I was wanting the same thing,but decided not to due to price /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifjake

4. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I didn't buy the GV, way over my budget, it was from donor truck I bought to get the GV. Had blown 6.2

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I was doing research when I was going to buy (too expensive not justifiable) and I remember the ones with auto will shift automatically but the one for older manuals like my 465 were manually shifted by a switch attached at your manual shifter.
    I could be wrong but that is what I remember.
    You could check out their website, I read for days on it to understand all the intricacies.