Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Vendors OD

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireinthehole, Mar 10, 2004.

Anybody here have personal experience with one of these units? When I say personal, I mean you have one installed on your vehicle, not dads, friends, or I heard from some guy... I am considering buying one for my Suburban and just wanted to know how you liked or disliked it. They are pricey at around $2600, so I am trying to know as much as I can about them first.

Thanks- Mat

1. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

2. Thanks Mark,

I knew it had been talked about in the past. I too have TH400, 4.10s on my Suburban. I am just trying to make the motor a little more happy on the highway and gain a little gas mileage. Did you buy yours new? It seems about the only place to buy one is from GV and there is no discount there.

Mat

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The previous owner had the GV installed on the truck. I have called GearVendors the company a couple times over the past few years about another GV I was going to purchase from a member on this site and also about some misc parts for the GV I have now. They are not the most helpful people in my opinion. There are quite a few GV units that come available from ebay and on various forums. Once in awhile you can find a complete one for under $1000, but more often than not they are pushing 1500 for a complete unit for your application. Of course if you find a good deal you can trade or just buy outright the adapter for your application. There is a guy here in Phoenix that commonly sells used units on Ebay and in the paper. If you have a vehicle that you are pretty sure you will keep I think they are worth the investment. But if they are sold with the vehicle they don't really return the full retail price....just like anything else you put on a vehicle /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I bought 2, maybe 3, from ebay over the years. The one I did install was put on a '88 crewcab diesel with th400/4.10s. The unit is very nice and does help highway driveability alot. Mileage gains might not pay it off but the added driveablitiy was unmeasurable. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif.

5. Thanks for the info. I have seen them on ebay. The last time, I called GV about what I would need to make it work for my application, np241, it was around $650 for the adaptor. And your right, they didnt seem all that helpful.
    I would lik to put one on my Sub, and put a diesel in as well.

Mat

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I have a GV unit on my 76 Blazer. I have a 350 engine, a TH350, an NP205, and the GV unit. It is a really nice setup. I am however swapping to a 700r4 and I will be selling the GV unit within a month or so. The only decision will be whether or not I pull the tranny, NP205, and GV unit as a whole and sell it intact, or split it up, keep the NP205, and sell the GV unit separate. I have all the documentation for it. If I wasn't setting up a rig that will be used almost exclusively for desert exploration, I would keep the GV unit. For an all around rig, it would be a nice setup. It functions almost like a 6 speed since you can "split" gears. It also has that nice overdrive for freeway driving.