Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gear vs. chain timing sets

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheBlazerKid, Jul 15, 2000.

1. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I debating on wether to get a double roller timing set or a gear drive set in the 454 im having built. the guy at the engine shop said they are strictly for racing but everyone i have talked to locally says that they've never had an ounce of problem with them. if anyone has had one or does have one please tell me if there worth it.

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?

2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i use a pete jackson "quite" gear drive on my 454,they are made not to have the loud wine that the gear drives make, i have had both kinds (quite and loud) and if i would change one thing on my motor it would be to replace the gear drive with a double roller chain. the quite geardrives have a growl to them and the others have the loud wine. the wine is cool at first, but when you have to listen to it all the time it gets old real quick. the gear drives also transfer vibrations to the upper valve train, so if you use a geardrive get a good fluid filled balancer..but if you really want to get noticed every where you go get a geardrive!!

BIGBLOCK MAN

3. TheBlazerKid

That is one reason that i want one is that i LOVE that gear whine sound. I was thinking of going with the edelbrock piece.

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

IF you run TPI or TBI with a knock senser, the senser will hear the gear drive and nothing else!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

5. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Ken is right about the knock sensor but looking at your profile, I see you have a 71 so thats not a problem unless you plan on FI in the future. I had one in my 350 and 454. The 454 had a loud version and it was waaayy too loud. I could barely hold a conversion or listen to the stereo so you might think about a quiet version. Don't forget when you wheel, it's always good to hear your spotter say "Stop" before it's too late! I now run a double roller chain which I'm happy with.

Shawn
    87 K5

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I say to keep the gear drives with the muscle cars. Unless you are in to high RPM mud bogging only.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

This is what I have heard....In the event of major engine malfunction the gear drive is harder to break and could cause more damage than a timing chain because the timing chain will break easier and not cause the engine to shatter...again this is what a old hot rodder buddy of mine told me, it may be bogus but maby someone can back it up...
    Brent

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the breakage thing, but I had a buddy with a geardrive in his IROC-Z. He said he LOVED the noise. But once he had it for a few weeks, he began to hate the constant whine. In 3 months, he went from the "noisy" Pete Jackson, to the "quiet", to a double-roller chain. Lotsa money wasted...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

9. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

I am going to put one on my blazer because i love the sound and if you have even a half good stereo you should not be able to hear the whine inside. Plus why would you not want to hear that awesome sound. A buddy of mine has one and he loves his it has that high performance sound to it. I also heard they are stronger than chain drive.

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

11. TheBlazerKid

They sound like a blower like a WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP,high pitched

12. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

Well i have one in my new motor and i love it it is a pj noisy and it is that very noisy but cool every body stares when they here the swampers going down the road and when i stop and the hear the gear drive they keep staring i like mine and would not change it for anything but thats just my two cents .

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

13. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

I like them in other peoples cars. I think they are great and love the sound. Would I use one???? NO WAY. Everyone around here that loves them ends up taking them out and giving them away. The novelty of it wears off quicker than you think. Besides if I have a truck that sounds like it has a blower under the hood, it better. Sorry guys but it reminds me of the people with the little rice burner cars that add the loud exhausts and now think their car is four times as fast. To me if you do something to your car or truck to make it SOUND faster, then whatever you do, it should be faster. Your not going to notice any difference except that its louder. If its not a daily driver you might get away with it. If your thinking about it try spending some time in a car or truck with one and then decide.

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

14. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I spend lots of money to make my blazer silent, FI aside I would not use some thing that I had to yell over to talke to my spotter!!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I too had a friend that put a gear dirve in his 52GMC P/U with a 454 droped in it and about two months later he riped it out and put a double roller chain in and the only diff is now he doesn't have to listen to the whine. NO performance change whats so ever!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

16. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Unless you are high-rpm (over 6000) for extended periods, they will actually cost you HP and the engine oil will run a bit hotter because of the added friction.

Go with a nice double-roller (such as Cloyes).

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash