Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Geardrive woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by POWERMAD, Jan 6, 2004.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Well after almost 6 years of trouble free operation the drive in the 73 went tits up with terminal results.
    For whatever reason it locked up and of course the oil pump went out.
    But... as with all my rigs it died in the driveway and not in BFE.
    It's to nasty out to pull the pan and see if the crank is smoked but the kibbles and bits that came out of the drain did not look good. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    So now it is either drop $400 and put the K5 back together or $1000 to build the other BBC in the shed.
    With only one rig left to drive it looks like the K5 is gonna get DD duty again for a bit.
    And right about now a 4x4 would be real nice, that stang is a freakin scary ride in the snow and ice with no chains.
    Anyway after this I won't install another geardrive.
    They sound cool and all but if they are gonna grenade and wipe out an engine... Hopefuly it didn't run long enough to do serious damage. I'm hoping that the Powerpunch that I add did what it is supposed to do and kept the block from being 800 pounds of scrap.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bummer man. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Is it a basically stock motor or is it built?
    If the gear drive froze up wouldn't the cam stop turning? the motor won't run without the cam turning right? So wouldn't that mean that the motor didn't run without the oil pump turning?

Maybe i'm wrong.

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

It runs, but real bad. the noise is a butt clencher.
    what prolly happened is the nylon coupler for the oil pump sheared and walla.. no oil .
    as soon as it gets a lil above 10* i'll drop the pan and see what happened.
    The parts that came out look to be the cam drive.
    It sorta sounds like a flywheel with ground off teeth, but alot louder and... well it makes yer butt pucker LOL.
    I've been havin issues with that plant for awhile.
    2 cams in 6 years, won't stop overheating, oil pressure been lower than I like. Honestly it is a wonder it has ran for as long as it did. Must be a Chevy thing.
    But for all the things to take a dump the drive was going was not even one of my concerns.
    The suspence is killin me on what went wrong, but after spending 2 days under the house trying to thaw pipes I have no desire to lay out in that crap to tear it down.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I had a gear drive and will never use one again. They transfer major amounts of vibration into the valve train. Double roller is the best way to go for the money. Belt drive if you got lots of cash.