Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gearin' Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustyMule, Jan 2, 2005.

1. RustyMule

RustyMule Registered Member

I was wondering which gears I sould put in my K5 :k5: . It's a 75, 355(ish)/350/203 d44/12 bolt with 35's and a 4" lift. The 'case will be converted to part time and I will be towing a very long distance with it. I could read those gearing charts until I go nutty and still not know as much as somebody who's done it already. I was aiming at 4.56's for the towing and power aspect. Will that be too much gear? I will most likely throw on some 37's when I wear these out so it really is going to be a step beyond a daily driver in the future. I just wanted to throw the question out there and see what people think. Pro's and con's and such. Thanks

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It would be worth doing a search as this has been covered a lot and again just recently. Many post tell of gear size and cruising RPM that they get.:waytogo:

3. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

4.10s

I'd think 4.10s would be good for you with 35s, but towing with 37s I dont know if that'd be low enough for you.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

For the 35" tires you will want 4.56 gears minimum for towing. With the 37's you will want 4.88 minimum. I'd suggest 4.88 or 5.13's since you plan to go bigger with the tires. If you ever consider going larger than 37's go with the 5.13's the first time.