Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gearing question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jsrail, May 31, 2004.

1. jsrail

jsrail Registered Member

I have a D60 4.56 and a 14ff 4.10. I hear the carrier in a 4.10 will hold 4.56 gears.....but will it hold lower gears? If I run 42-44 inch tires (350/700R4/NP208) should I be thinking about changing both front and rears to 5.13 or lower?

Secondly....any thoughts on a better transfer case set-up than my 208? What is this I read about NP241s? How difficult of a swap is this versus the 203/205 doubler route?

All suggestions are appreciated.
    Jay-AZ

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

5.13's would be manditory if you plan to use OD.

The 4.10 14bff carrier will hold 4.56's, 4.88's, or 5.13's if the gears are of the thick variety.

The cost to benefit ratio of a 208 to 241 is very little. The doubler is more work and money but also stronger.

If you plan on rock crawling it I would use 42's instead of 44's. 44's are wider and give you less contact pressure.

Harley

3. jsrail

jsrail Registered Member

what do you mean by thick variety? are they sold differently? should I be lower than 5.13? I mean....is 5.13s the minimum needed?

4. Hossbaby50

5.13 is the lowest gear available for the 14bff. The thick variety means the thick gearsets designed to fit in a 4.10 carrier 14bff. The standard 5.13 gears are designed for the 4.56 carrier.

If you don't use "thick" gears you must switch to the 4.56 carrier to run 5.13's. They started producing thick gears so people with 4.10 carriers didn't have to buy new cariers for there axles.

With tires in the 42" range you MUST run 5.13's with a 700R4 tranmission. Otherwise you will burn it up when you try to use overdrive. Even with 5.13's you will probably not use OD much because of to low of RPM for lockup of the torque converter. If the torque converter doesn't lockup then you will burn the tranny up.

I run a 700R4 with 35" tires and 4.56 gears. I wish I had 4.88's or 5.13's.

5. jsrail

jsrail Registered Member

Thanks much for the info. Im a new member and these forums are great!

Jay
    85 GMC Jimmy
    97 GMC Suburban

6. Hossbaby50

That is what they are here for. They are great. I notice you are an AZ member too. What are you running and what are your plans for you rig? Are you going to build it for rock crawling? Later

Harley

7. jsrail

jsrail Registered Member

Its an 85 Jimmy 350 crate/700R4/208 had stock 10 bolts but I have already put the 14ff under it (it will need to be taken in for gearing-Im not good enough to set backlash myself) and the 89 1 ton Dana 60 (4.56 currently) is in the garage waiting to go under it. I snapped a front axle and decided it was time for 1 tons! I am not a serious rock-crawler (competition) but want to be able to go where I want and dont want a few rocks to stop me. The old 305v8 trashed a few years back so I put a crate 350 in but am sorry I didnt go with TBI at the time. Having a hell-of-a-time with my Quad (now the base plates warped). Wish there was a SYE kit for the 208! Hoping to have it back on the trails this summer. I have own cars since I was 13 but only got into the off-roading about 5 years ago and its a blast! Good to meet other people into the full size rigs.

Jay

8. jsrail

jsrail Registered Member

Since I am picking your brains....do you know of a good shop to install gears/lockers? (Forgot I want a detroit rear/maybe ox/e-locker in front). I talked with 4wheel parts in mesa. They seem okay but I dont know them.

Thanks again.......Jay

9. Hossbaby50

Someone does make a SYE for a 208 now. You can also do it yourself by using Dodge parts off a Dodge fixed yoke 208. It can be done and has. There is also a clocking ring available for the 208 now so you can rotate it up to get it out of the way more.

I am running a slipyoke 208 in my truck with no problems sofar. I run 5" lift, 35" tires, 14bff, and run a stock driveshaft.

If you are going to run a D60 front convert to crossover steering when you put it in. Totally worth it and it isn't to expensive. You will need to make sure your frame is reinforced at the steering box (which you should anyway).

If you are going to run 42's you might want to upgrade to 35 spline outers on the D60 too. Another guy here in AZ runs 38.5's and started snapping stub shafts.

There are alot of local AZ guys on here. Guys with stock trucks and guys with trucks that aren't street legal. There are guys with all levels of trucks on all levels of trails. Welcome to CK5 and I am sure I will see you on the trails sometime.

Harley

10. Hossbaby50

Desert Rat in Mesa. Only use the Mesa shop. There are some good guys out at that shop. I wouldn't let 4 wheel parts touch my truck.

An add on to my above comment about 35 spline outers for the D60, if you are going to use a selectable locker (ARB, Ox, electrac, etc) get drive flanges. The hubs are known to be weak. The other train of thought though is use the hubs as the weak point in the front axle.

Harley

11. jsrail

jsrail Registered Member

Thanks again Harley!

See ya around. I will let you know when its on the road again.

Jay