Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gearing to go 200+MPH?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Jul 10, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK so I'm watching this show about the semi drivers and them racing pikes peak then they are in the salt flats doing 200+MPH. SO /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I'm thinking what kind of gearing do you need for 200MPH in a K5. What kind of suspention items (on a 2wd) would be problematic at 200+MPH?

Later on in Life, I'm wanting to build a street strip 2wd K5 and I'm wondering if making a trip to the salt flats to join the 200MPH club is totally out of the question /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Never had a desire to go that fast but it might be fun /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Anyone know of the blazer thats hit 200?

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

WEll, assuming you help get rid of most of the aero drag...

A. Super high reving engine with lightweight parts
    B. Super skinny tires-
    C. Rediculously numerically low gearing- final drive will have to be pretty darn low.

I tend to think about it more like nascar style- first gear is super low, but the rest of the gears are really numerically high- and they hit in the 190's all the time.

Im sure you know that to push close to 200mph requires some serious HP for our flying barns....

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

with your set up (3.08 gears and 35" tires and 700r4) you would be turning only 4140 rpm and 200 MPH. you would need one hell of a motor to get it that far.

with 3.73 gears a a 30" tire 700r4, you would be spinning 5849 and you could get there a whole lot quicker.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    with your set up (3.08 gears and 35" tires and 700r4) you would be turning only 4140 rpm and 200 MPH. you would need one hell of a motor to get it that far.

with 3.73 gears a a 30" tire 700r4, you would be spinning 5849 and you could get there a whole lot quicker.

[/ QUOTE ] Might be able to get there quicker, but the question is could it stay there ??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

thatd be about the scariest thing I could ever imagine!

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I haven't sat down to do any math for you but I can tell you how fast i've had my old blazer up too, 130mph with 3:73's and 35's with TH350 and the engine was screaming for more gear in the tranny or higher gears in the axle.

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

sit down and drink a case of keystone by yourself... youll be going 200mph without all the extra hassles...

I just saw the extrme truck show on the travel channel and the freightliner with 2 cummins did 218 mph at bonneville..

ok seriously if your interested
    go to the salt flats
    talk to the racers
    see what you need from there
    usually takes a fat wallet
    cam

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

There must be some tricks on the body for a brick to go that fast. Like some kind of air dam up front , body lowered over frame so it sits lower ( or ground effects type stuff ) etc. Its all theoretical that the gearing would support those speeds , but gonna be hard. I'd take closer looks at the Nascar Craftsman truck setups from Daytona ( truck qualifying record is Joe Ruttman 187.563 2000, thats close to 200 mph ), and go from there, and add more power or something /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    WEll, assuming you help get rid of most of the aero drag...

A. Super high reving engine with lightweight parts
    B. Super skinny tires-
    C. Rediculously numerically low gearing- final drive will have to be pretty darn low.

I tend to think about it more like nascar style- first gear is super low, but the rest of the gears are really numerically high- and they hit in the 190's all the time.

Im sure you know that to push close to 200mph requires some serious HP for our flying barns....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well to start... It would be a 2wd K5, probley a chop top and lowered. Could build a front clip like the early dodge super birds. Pop the top off and build a wing for some down force and enclose the cab /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif It would have a full cage and harnesses for drag racing anyways.

So a built 454 (maybe like a vortec witha super charger and aluminum heads) and something like a 6speed with an OD adapter behind it and some crazy gears with a push truck (like a turbo diesel with a chip and mods to bump me up to 75-80MPH real quick then build speed from there)? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I dont know, its just a thought, its a long long long ways out I just seen that show on tv, curious if anyones done it?

10. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]

I just saw the extrme truck show on the travel channel and the freightliner with 2 cummins did 218 mph at bonneville..

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that show /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

my buddy used to race hopped up model a's at bonneville and they would go over a hundred on stock 4 bangers.... this was in the 60s with 60s technology... it didnt cost anything to do it you could go out there and run to your hearts content.... today they have all kinds of rules and fees I would imagine,,, can you see yourself today out for a walk on the flats looking for some snail darter desert bug with your eco girlfriend and having some k5 coming at you at 200 mph without any track regs?
    I imagine you could take a 2wd k5 lower,chop and weight it, use airplane rated tires, do some kind of two speed tranny... you wouldnt need the mega horsepower ...its more about applying it properly to the ground and making the truck stick and be controllable.... a smallblock can do it... look at the bonnie cars... there are many 4 cyl going over that mph.... how smooth can you make a boxy k5? as smooth as your wallet can take you
    BUT
    if you think you can do it cheaply.. safely... well I think it might get expensive...
    back in the 60s there were no wide 4 x 4 tires and wheel and we used to cut stock rimes apart and put inserts in them and buy old airplane tires... worked great in the sand...for fishing down in rhode island... definately not street legal... especially after a couple of landings and skidding down the runway

now... Ill be on your pit crew if you like,,, I have a good first aid bag... but if you crash at 200 mph I think a garbage bag would be needed instead...

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The same thought has crossed my mind a time or two........
    I think 200 mph is no problem for a 2wd K5. You will need Money then some more Money to lower it, lighten it up, A good aftermarket suspention, Gears/drive train, Some ground effects, Good tires/wheels and a spoiler and last but not least Safety gear. A winston cup engine or a supercharged BBC should get you there easy.
    I'd try it
    At 5 grand RPM my 89 K5 does somewhere around 125 mph(checked with the non calibrated speedo on my Mustang) on a mostly stock engine. 33"s and 3.75s No reason with better handling and more HP and gear it could not gain another 75 mph.
    My goal for my 87 Mustang is 200 MPH I'm only 45 miles per hour short now. Cant go further till I get a Cage and 5 point. and a new engine next winter.
    Check this site out:http://www.openroadracing.com/
    This is what we do in Nevada for thrills. Its a kick in the a$$ to get on the highway and go WFO for 100+ miles.
    I know and have ridden with a guy that has a 69 mustang road racer that will hit 200 mph. He has an old Woods Brothers engine in it.

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: gearing to go 200+MPH? *DELETED*

Post deleted by HarryH3

14. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Just to give you one example of just how difficult it is to get one of these bricks up to 200 MPH, as of 2002 (the last date a quick search found any data on) the worlds fastest gasoline powered pickup truck was clocked at 204 MPH at Bonneville.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif See thats what we need to change /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Carl, from Carls 4x4 holds that record..FRom Grants pass... We were joking about trying to get my K-5 up that fast, he said he would not even want to use R/C to get a monsterous Blazer up to 200...Who ever ran 130 in a Blazer, with 35's, is either lieing, or cazy as F*&^.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Carl, from Carls 4x4 holds that record..FRom Grants pass... We were joking about trying to get my K-5 up that fast, he said he would not even want to use R/C to get a monsterous Blazer up to 200...Who ever ran 130 in a Blazer, with 35's, is either lieing, or cazy as F*&^.

[/ QUOTE ] I got my K5 up to 65mph out on the interstate with a 75 mph speed limit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Just to give you one example of just how difficult it is to get one of these bricks up to 200 MPH, as of 2002 (the last date a quick search found any data on) the worlds fastest gasoline powered pickup truck was clocked at 204 MPH at Bonneville.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif See thats what we need to change /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's not impossible, it's not cheap, and there is one more thing no one mentionned here that is THE BIGGEST ISSUE on the flats at those speeds.
    You need to be able to control that brick at those speeds, and you are not going to be able to with that short wheel base.
    Do some research on the boneville flats cars and truck, most have stretched wheel bases or just plain purpose built frames and body.
    I think 200MPH is not hard to achieve, it's staying there and coming back alive afterwards, that is why you need to make sure you have a stable vehicle at high speeds, channeling it down and chopping the top is a good start but you want to also look at you wheelbase and see what you can do to stretch it.
    I already am working on stretching one for off road use so I know how you can make it look good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

Mine'll hold 40 ALLL DAY LONG /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

you could try to make one like they did on monster garage. there is a post around here that has pics.

20. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You'd probably be heading in the right direction if you started with a tube frame stretched enough to make it controllable and start slapping on the fiberglass panels. All while lowering and smoothing the entire body. As in no door handles or mirrors or anything of that nature protruding from the truck.