Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. blazerboy5814

blazerboy5814 Registered Member

I recently bought a 88 K5 blazer its bone stock except a flowmast muffler that was installed by the previous owner. It has 33x12.5x15 tires and I was wondering if i need to change the diff gears or if i'll be allright like this. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif <font color="black"> </font>
    A lift is on its way.

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

well, got to know what your gears are now,an if you do need to change gears just get whole new 3/4 ton axles much cheaper than new gears and extra strength /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. blazerboy5814

Ok its the stock ratio it had 31 inch tires stock
    but i can't find out what it is imagine about 4.11 <font color="black"> </font>

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i can't find out what it is imagine about 4.11 <font color="black"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> So what you're saying is, you don't know what gears you have and you can't find out, but you want to know if you should change them. Ummmmmm, maybe. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

BTW, if it has 4.11s it would be pretty rare, they didn't come in many 1/2 tons from the factory, and those that had them usually had 6 cylinder engines.

Perhaps a better question would be "How can I find out what gears are in this Blazer I just bought? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

5. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok its the stock ratio it had 31 inch tires stock
    but i can't find out what it is imagine about 4.11 <font color="black"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

go here:

http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/96transam/rpocodes.html

look up the code (located inside your glovebox door). Find the code on that website, and if your rearend is still stock, it will tell you what gearing it has. (should start with a "G" or an "H")

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

you could always just jack it up and see how many times the driveshaft turns for 1 revolution of the tire! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Open the glove box and look for the the paper with the options if theres not one there look on the driverside innerfender, but rember they COULD have been changed BTW if its stock its probably 3.08 or 3.42 MABE 3.73

8. blazerboy5814

Its 3.42. Is this fine? Tell me what you guys think.

9. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

That is exactly the setup that I am running and it deffinetly lost its get up and go. I also have a prob going the speed limit with the setup cause the tranny doesnt like using OD till over 70 now. I deff want to do a gear swap also, but was wondering the same thing...is it better and cheaper to go with an entire new axle assembly? If so where do you find those and what gears coem in them?

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I've heard that junkyards sometimes have axles... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

For 33's, I would recommend 4.10's. This would keep you from having to mess with speedo stuff, but will give you better "get up and go".
    Doing this is relatively cheaper than going to 3/4 ton axles. You have to think of what else you will have to spend to get you where you are at right now. If you are considering a locker, then yes, but otherwise stick with your current setup.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I deff want to do a gear swap also, but was wondering the same thing...is it better and cheaper to go with an entire new axle assembly?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually wait until the brakes are shot before swapping axles - makes things more cost effective /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A 14-bolt fullfloater can be had in the $100-200 range - most have 3.73 or 4.10 ratios. For the front, you can go three ways:
    1. re-gear and add 8-lug hubs/brakes.
    2. replace entire front axle (perhaps from same truck as 14-bolt comes from)
    3. Dana 60 front axle (can be costly ~$1000 range)

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Its 3.42. Is this fine?

[/ QUOTE ] W/ overdrive, that would be perfect... for a 26" tall tire. I would go w/ 4.56:1 if you are keeping the 33s.