Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gears for 36's

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aksidentproan, Sep 4, 2002.

1. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Gears for 36\'s

I'll be purchasing 36x12.50 TSL Radials this winter and definatly need new gears. Right now I have 33's with 3.73's and the ratio is a little to high(4.10's would be prefect) but i would rather have higher then lower if it comes down to it because of all the highway miles and lack of rock crawling I do. I'm guessing the best way to go would be 4.56's but www.4lo.com says that the high gears for 36's should be 4.10's but that doesnt sound right. Thanks for any input and suggestions.

Evan

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: Gears for 36\'s

Your sig says 3speed, do you mean 3peed with granny low(SM465?) I have the 465 w/205 and run 35x12.50-15 SSRs with 4.10s and I can do 65-70 around 2800rpm. Perfect for me. My granny low gives me all the low range I need.
    Good luck

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I would agree that with no O/D, 4.10s would be the best gears for 36s. With O/D, 4.56 or even lower.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Evan,

I'm currently running 4.10's with 38.5" tires....it's no dragster off the line, but it has nice highway RPMS. I really wish I had an overdrive transmission so I could go with deeper gears.

Here are some actual values for you to consider with your 36" tires and a 1:1 ratio high gear.

65 MPH

3.73 = 2263 RPM
    4.10 = 2487 RPM
    4.56 = 2766 RPM
    4.88 = 2961 RPM
    5.13 = 3112 RPM

Only YOU can decide how many RPMs you are willing to turn on the highway to get the extra OOOMMPH around town in the other gears. Of course, that chart shows RPMs for 65 MPH, so if you normally drive faster than that you'll need to compensate for that as well.

My guess is that a 4.10 ratio is the more "conservative" choice, whereas the 4.56 would be slightly more aggressive around town, but would cost you some rpms on the highway. If you were planning to go larger than 36" in the future, you might want to take a chance and go 4.56, since the larger tires will calm them down anyway...

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. aksidentproan

Man guys. You all are great. Thanks so much. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Evan

6. aksidentproan

Burt, I wish I had the granny but I don't. Its just a straight up 3-on-the-tree tranny. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ahh OK well then I would go 4.56, But I do alot of slow trail wheelin so it really depends on how you want to use your K5 off road? 4.56 would give you more power to the road.
    Good Luck

8. aksidentproan

Ok. Im pretty much set on 4.56's now where is the best/cheapest place to buy gears. I'm also considering a powertrax No-Slip locker for the rear. My cousin has one in his cherokee and its really smooth and made no noise or clunks. Any comments? Other suggestions. Thanks.

Evan

9. aksidentproan

Also. Will I need new carriers for the 4.56's? If I do how much are they and where can I get them. I hope the response is no but you gotta do whatcha gotta do. Thanks, again.

Evan

10. Greg72

Evan,

I'd start with a place like Randy's Ring & Pinion (see them in ANY 4x4 magazine). They really seem to know their stuff and carry everything.

Second, beware of cheap gears. From what I've heard you can save a few bucks initially by getting an off-brand gearset, but they will be noisier than a well made and machined set, so it's probably false economy.

The carrier break is at 4.56, I know that they also make a "thick" ring gear so that you can re-use the existing carrier instead of buying a new one, but I don't know if there is a downside......

A call to Randy's should clear a lot of this up for you. Be sure to report back with your findings!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i would personnally go witht eh 4.56 gearing.i have had 4.11 and it still doesnt have all the power i wanted.but at highway speeds i was at 2600 rpm at 70 mph.so like everyone said its your truck and your choice. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

12. aksidentproan

Ok guys. I got another brainbuster for ya. How much, per axle are we talkin to get gears intalled in the front D44 and gears and a locker installed in the rear 12 bolt? Just the labor and small parts(seals, gaskets etc.). Not gears and locker. Thanks again

Evan

13. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i went to a 4x4 shop and they wanted 1200 to rebuild my 12 bolt.they wanted 600 dollars to just do r&p regearing.so i went and bought a 14 bolt with the gears i need for 150.8 lug conversion up front 250.so i saved 300 dollars and got a lot more strength.

14. Greg72

Evan,

It's probably going to be somewhat "location-specific".....everything in the San Jose, CA area is expensive, it might be cheaper where you are.

I recently had my rear axle regeared from 3.73 to 4.10 They changed me about 2 hours labor (@ $65/hr) and maybe about another $100 for a bunch of bearings that didn't look so fresh once they got everything apart. Total was $270 with me supplying the gears....not bad. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

15. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

16. aksidentproan

Greg-$270 doesnt sound to bad. Would a front axle be more?

Lizard-Thats the best damn gear calculator I've ever seen. Thanks alot man. According to that, I've got 4.10's right now which could be right.

Evan

17. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I know you are already set on the 4.56 but let me tell you what I think anyway.
    I went from 33's (really like 32's if that) to 36's with the 3.73 gears and a th350 tranny. The motor (400sb)made plenty of torque to move the truck on the road but it sucked on the trails. I had to gun the motor just to make it up hills and rocks in 4lo. So I swapped in some 3/4 ton axles with 4.56's in them. I don't have to gun the motor to wheel it any more and the power off the line is now insain (read: smoke um both without powerbreaking!). The down side is the gas mileage!
    I think I get better mileage around town now then on the hwy! I used to be able to go 80mph on the hwy and get over 10mpg (not doing 80!). Now I keep it under 70 and get under 8mpg. That hurts...esp. w/ the 20gal tank. To me it is worth it because I don't drive this truck every day.

18. aksidentproan

Ok. I'm set on 4.56's with a powertrax rear. I've been told that the front axle shafts and U-joints on 73 and later trucks are stronger then the ones in 69-72 front axles. Can I put these in my axles sense they will have to have it apart anyway to put the gears in? Any suggestions on aftermarket shafts that are even stronger? I know ORD sells some but I dont know if they will fit. I have drum brakes if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Evan

19. Greg72

Evan,

I can't answer that question about u-joints....I'm not sure how interchangeable the later model stuff is. I would HOPE that they would swap easily....these aren't FORDs you know!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

ORD and other companies sell the chromoly shafts and CTM u-joints and that stuff is supposed to really add strength to a D44. The problem is cost. I started down that road myself and realized theres probably about $800 worth of cost to do all the changes, and you still don't have the strength of a D60.

You are right on the edge of needing a D60 with a 36" tire. Most people agree that up to 36" (if driven sensibly) can be done with a D44. Over 36" and you really should be thinking D60.

It really just comes down to how much you are breaking the D44 now. My personal suggestion would be to use the D44 "AS-IS" and not put a lot of expensive parts into it....then keep looking for a D60 to put your money into.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

20. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes, you can take 73up D44 shafts and slide them right in. Both are 30spline. The shafts that ORD sell are direct from Warn and they also work fine in our D44s. I run them in my D44 with DanaPower-Lok & 4.09s. I am only going to run 35s so I don't need a D60. So far my 'beefy' D44 has done a great job! I am gonna run the Rubicon this weekend so wish me luck!!
    SeeYaa