Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gears for a family diesel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Apr 16, 2005.

?

What gears would be best for milage in a family burb w/ 6.2 and a TH700?

1. 3.08's

14.3%
  2. 3.42's

50.0%
  3. 3.73's

35.7%
  4. something else not listed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

As the title says gears for a family grocerie getting burb :D

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I believe 3.08 was only offered in the diesel Burb for the first few years. 3.42/3.73 are the other possibilities.

Most 3/4-tons have 4.10 gears and a TH400 (not OD). They're okay for city driving, but suffer on the highway. I swapped a 3.21 axle into mine for this reason.

IMO, look for a '91 3/4-ton. You avoid the fragile 10-bolt and small 1/2-ton brakes, and get a 4L80E (OD trans).

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Keep in mind that if you are going to run a 700R4 even with the low stall deisel converter that you need to try and keep the RPM's up a little bit so you don't lug the motor in OD and put extra heat in the tranny.

I would say run 3.42's or 3.73's and a big cooler. This is especially true if you are going to up the tire size over stock any or are going to tow any.

Harley

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

3.73... ford chevy and dodge all use 3.73s standard in their new diesel trucks. other ratios are optional.

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

That is a cool fact to know :D :waytogo: I am still thinking for milage reasons if and when I get a diesel to go w/ a set of 3.42's for better milage. But I will most likely not be getting this rig soon. I have a garage and a house w/ all the things that go with it like septic system, driveway, well etc etc to work on currently. So my 82 dd will most likely be the only vehicle I own for a bit (after I sell my other 2 trucks and the jetta anyway) But when I do get t the point of locating a diesel burb, then it would be for road use only going places and not hauling anything save for family (when I am fortunate enough to have one) and groceries. :D

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

my 83 came with 3.42 gears... Cruises down the highway great. :)