Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gears in a 14bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by petryshyn, Nov 17, 2004.

1. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

I am just wondering what stock gears come in a 14 bolt axel, front a rear, and how hard would it be to swap it onto my 86 blazer.

Great site, just setting up my paypal to get a membership

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

14 bolts are for the rear and gear ratio depends on what it comes out of. My van width came with 3.73 where most 3/4 tons and 1 tons came with either 4.11 or 4.56 gear ratios. Not sure about doing the swap, I have a set of gears and carrier from another 14 bolt that I will be taking to a shop and have them install for me.

James

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sorry about that, I thought about swapping gears. The swap of the axle is pretty simple, all you need is new ubolts and a conversion u joint for your drive shaft and voila, it is underneath you truck. Some years of the 14 bolts have different e-brake styles so watch out when you are purchasing them. Try to get one that will bolt right up to yor e-brake lines unles your planning to run rear disc brakes then whatever you want will work.

I chose the van width axle due to it is 3" wider and will keep me from running spacers on the rear so I can have the same front/rear track width.

James