Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gears Install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Jun 22, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

Did you do it yourself or have a shop do it? If you did it yourself how hard was it/is it to screw up?
    I just called 4wps and they quoted me around 500! :haha: thats if i had the gears to install.

Im thinkin about finding some mom and pop shop to do it, or have my auto class do it as a "project" lol

thnx

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you'll find that it will always be about that expensive and that if you do it yourself, you'll find it to be a very hard task to get done right, particularly if you don't have someone experienced there to help you do it. i wouldn't think it would be a good job for the average auto class project.

3. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

i did it my self. If you decide to do it yourself, i suggest alot of research. Its not that hard if you know what your doing.

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I did it myself. Kind of drawn out and nerve wracking but they're still in there! Do a search on here. I had quite a long post going for a while with loads of help from Readymix. There are others too. Do a search and have a serious think about it before you take the plunge...either way!

5. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I too set up my diffs. I had a bunch of threads running late last summer. It is not that bad once you get the hang of it.

If you are pretty mechanically inclined, and dont mind beating your head against the wall from shear repitition, Id say go for it.

Gears are probably about $200
    Install kits are about $100
    Dial gauge w/ base are $40-$150 or so
    Calipers or micrometers can be obtained for about $50

If your setting up a Dana axle, get a new set of carrier bearings to use as set-up bearings (~$25) ---> well worth it.

A lot of people can walk you through what you are doing if you can supply some pics of the progress. Do some research here, follow some links, and decide what you wanna do.

Its a learning experience...

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Do it yourself it is the chance to buy cool new tools if you don't have them and it really is pretty easy just time consuming. Best thing you can do is take th old bearings out and sand the inside of them with a die grinder and a flap wheel (it takes a while), then you have setup bearings :D Dont expect to be done in one day though. You have to take the time to get the right pattern.

7. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

I do my onwn gears and have had good success. I figured I would want to re-gear just about any truck I ever own, so I thought it was worth learning how to do it and investing in a few tools:

Here is what I bought:
    -12-ton shop press from Harbor Freight: $100.00 (on sale)
    -bearing seperator from Harbor Freight :$25.00
    -dial indicator and mag base $50.00
    -inlb beam style torque wrench for setting pinion preload $60.00
    -home built pinion yoke wrench out of 2x2x0.25 angle

I bought all this stuff about 3 years ago and have since rebuilt/regeared serval differentials including a friends Chrysler 8.25. The tools were well worth the investment and paid for themselves after my first diff.

8. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing, harbor freight press, some dial mics, and I picked up a snap on inch pound torque wrench on ebay for 60 bucks. That torque wrench was a score, the thing is in like new condition and came with a recent calibration. I suggest you do lots and lots of reading, ask questions and when you get in there and do it, take your time and double check your work. Its not bad at all, they seem to get easier the more you do.