Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gears or axles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ronnny3, Oct 13, 2004.

1. ronnny3

ronnny3 Registered Member

Right now with open diffs front and rear and 3.08 gears /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    Would it be better to get gears or wait and find 3/4 ton axles? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    All I do is light trail riding and some mud. Iwant to put 35's or 36's on. With 31's and 4"s my 205 gets dragged in the dirt going through some parts of my yard. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. bleedchevy

bleedchevy Registered Member

axels, odds are the 3/4 ton axels will have a better gear then 3.07, if not regear the 3/4 ton axels and you would be set for most conditions

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

My 3/4 ton axles came with 4.56's, and were a lot cheaper than re-gearing any axles. Actually, they were free.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I did an axle swap to get better gears.

Look for a local u-pull-it. You can usually get axles pretty cheap at one of those joints.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

hold out for 3/4's with the gears you want and kill 2 birds with one stone!

Witch is kinda funny actually i recomend it to everyone /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Right now with open diffs front and rear and 3.08 gears /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    Would it be better to get gears or wait and find 3/4 ton axles? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    All I do is light trail riding and some mud. Iwant to put 35's or 36's on. With 31's and 4"s my 205 gets dragged in the dirt going through some parts of my yard. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a D44 and D60 (rear) just waiting for you /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif